New Radiator & refurbished bits +temp questions help please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cornwall

Member car:

New Radiator & refurbished bits +temp questions help please

After finding a slight coolant leak in our Alfa GTV radiator(which turned out to be the original one..11 years ain't bad I suppose) and doing a bit of reading on here for recommended replacements at a reasonable price we settled on a alloy one from Nissens at about 60 delivered(it seems very good quality and is almost an exact match to the Valeo one, not perfect but no problems with fitting.

The car is a 2.0 JTS with air con and the radiator would not slide out the top as per Clives guide(which was very handy in general)due to the air-con unit so we had to jack the car up several inches and it was easy to slide under to remove/refit.

The radiator support bar was rusty and so was the bottom of the fan surround so I DIY scraped the paint off with a chisel and wire brushed them first then green scowering padded the curved corners to remove most of the rust. Several coats of silver Hammerite went over the support bar as I have 2 tins of silver to work through and black Hammerite was used on the fan surround. For a D.I.Y job its come up really nice. Pictures below.

I have reinstalled the lot and bleed the system as the guides on here and no leaks and no sudden temperature rise so it all seems good but I think there is s alight difference that i would appreciate advice on please. While getting the car up to temperature in the drive it seems as though the cooling fan now comes on at slightly above 90(as pictured) where as with the old radiator I am sure it use to come on bang on 90(very slightly over but definately lower over all) After the fan kicks in it drops right back way below 90 and all seems fine on the test although I have not been on the roads yet.... I have read that there is a low speed activation and a high speed activation are there any tests I can do or any advice on my slight worry.

The car use to be used every day for work although now its a bambino chariot and although not that practical we don't want to replace it as its served us well for 4 1/2 years.

Tom (on behalf of Shelly....its easier to just post up than dictate to her what to write hehe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-25 14.10.15.jpg (172.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-25 14.45.56.jpg (122.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-26 10.49.44.jpg (89.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-27 19.26.45.jpg (61.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-27 19.27.54.jpg (64.4 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Generally the fan should come on low speed around 98 deg and go to high speed around 104 deg. Or there abouts. Yours seems fine.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Originally Posted by ShellyGTV View Post
I have read that there is a low speed activation and a high speed activation are there any tests I can do or any advice on my slight worry.
If you have MultiECUcan you can plug a laptop into the diagnostic port ( near the fusebox ) and activate the fan at both speeds from the laptop.

Nothing you have done would affect the temperature at which the fans operate as that is controlled by the engine ECU which uses the temperature sensor in the cylinder head. I wouldn't use the temp gauge for definitive readings - it's only a guide!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bits , questions , radiator , refurbished , temp