Petekins - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations about rust proofing my 916 spider? I have a quote from "Rustbusters" in Poole for 850 !!!!. Looks like a very good job and a very nice finish etc but I am worried about water being trapped underneath the coating.

Waxoyl seems to have supporters and critics, anyone have any ideas? I am not able to apply rustproofing myself so any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Troms
Garage (Guide To A Rust Free Life)

like you said any undercoating that is not paint will trap moisture over time as rocks hit underneath and creates water penetration that leads to rust.

ive done this to the interior floor pans, boot floor pan, entire front + side of the engine bay, wheel arches front and rear + all suspension bits front and rear + brake hub assembly front and rear, right now im doing the entire undercarriage, last bit is the spring pans, then im done. god knows how long ive spent grinding, etching.. cleaning.. painting.

i would say.. 6-8 hours on each side x4 + front (8-10hours) + boot (1-2) + interior floor pan 4-6 hours. undercarriage (i dont know yet.. maybe 10 maybe 20 ) hours includeing disassembly and reassembly of everything.
i take my sweet time tho, and no shop will do it as thoroughly as you will

Last edited by WillieNillie; 19-10-15 at 16:05.
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol
I'm with willienillie. The only way to get a proper job is to do it yourself. No garage is going to spend the hours in the preparation required. I spent a week under mine with wire brushes, angle grinder and a dremel to get in the nooks and crannies. Then rust treated and brush painted with waxoil. You need the sill and wheel arch covers off and with a Spider I would take the seats and carpets out too. The quality control on the undersealing process when new was very poor. I've had 3 916s apart now and one had hardly any corrosion while another was shocking and only good for scrap. You might be lucky and have a good one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider