916 GTV front subframe - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 27-09-15 Thread Starter

916 GTV front subframe

Hi everybody, long time since I've been in here but needs must! Anybody out there changed a front subframe on a 916 GTV? Mine's just been condemned by the MOT man but I love my car so I'm looking for some advice. They are available second hand, I've already had a look on the Internet. What I want to know is what's involved and is it do- able on my drive?

Cheers, Les.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
There was a thread here a few days ago in respect of changing anti roll bar bushes at the front. This requires lowering the subframe/crossmember, but removal isn't too much extra work.

What you may want to do is take advantage of the ease of access and change both front wishbones whilst it is off the car - unless they're relatively new that is.

Rust or impact damage?
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 27-09-15 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
There was a thread here a few days ago in respect of changing anti roll bar bushes at the front. This requires lowering the subframe/crossmember, but removal isn't too much extra work.

What you may want to do is take advantage of the ease of access and change both front wishbones whilst it is off the car - unless they're relatively new that is.

Rust or impact damage?
It's rusty, really rusty. Passed without advisories last year tho. I was gobsmacked when the tester told me he thought it was dangerous. Going to take a few days to get over the shock cos otherwise the car is good and I love driving it. If it's not so difficult I'm going to have ago at replacing it over the winter, well if I can get a decent replacement that is! I already have new lower suspension arms because the rubber bushes were shot. Wish me luck!
AO Member

County: Wrexham
I dropped my sub-frame when I refurbished my suspension and swapped the anti-roll bar for a fatter one. Did it on my drive without too many problems (I am a serial restorer/tinkerer so generally not phased). Trickiest part is getting the car up high enough. The one disaster was one of the 2 steering rack bolts sheered off in the rack (they go from underneath through the sub-frame into threads in the steering rack). the rack is alloy and the bolts are steel so they react and corrode - start with lots and lots of penetrating oil on everything! It took me 2 and a half hours to carefully drill out the offending bolt!

Might be a good opportunity to consider replacing drop links, etc whilst it is all out. Here's a link to my Alfa Spider album on photobucket - might be some photos that help or just ask. Alfa Spider by vanatee1 | Photobucket
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
If you are anywhere near the Wiltshire area and are willing to collect I have a front subframe from a 1999 3.0 gtv you can have for free. Will have to be collection only and at a pre arranged time though as I have too much going on at work to be dealing with couriers etc.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Definitely do-able on the drive. Mine is off my V6. Vanatee nailed it by saying your steering rack bolts will probably snap, mine did as well. A load easier to change all sorts of things when it's off.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Yeah I've had the subframe off mine on the drive pretty easy tbh. I think it's the same subframe used on the bravo, tipo, tempra etc so should be possible to pick one up cheap and easy.
AO Member

County: Down
My advice would be to remove the wishbones before you try to reattach the subframe. Its heavy enough without two leaden 'wings' sticking out either side, especially if you're lying on your back. Also there is a sandwiching of the frame and the heatshield around the exhaust and another layer of something or other which is difficult to achieve without actually taking off the heatshield. You need to slide the rear of the subframe back between two layers, whilst lining up the bolt holes at the front. It's doable but tiring!
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
916 GTV front subframe

I realise I'm resurrecting an old thread, but am in the process of removing my front sub frame & have hit a snag - there are captive bolts that seem to retain the exhaust heatshield, but also go through the rear of the sub frame on each side.
So my question is, do I have to remove the heatshield, or is there an easier/quicker way?
Cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
916 , front , gtv , subframe