GTV V6 spark plug change (How to guide) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By biodieselgt
  • 1 Post By biodieselgt
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 21-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
GTV V6 spark plug change (How to guide)

I wanted to change the spark plugs on my 1999 GTV V6 but having read a few threads about what "a nightmare" it was I had put the job off and off. I had a bit of a poke about and thought that it would be a lot easier than people had made out. I set about the job and an hour after I started I had new plugs in the car and was ready to reassemble. I'd also been stopping to wash my hands and take pictures at various stages to compliment the written guide but I can't upload them as it says "file too large". If anyone can help me with that then please message me.

Tools required:
Standard alun keys set, socket set with plug socket, screw drivers, insulating tape and a pair of hose clip pliers. They cost £6 so get a pair. HOSE CLIP PLIERS for CLIC & CLIC R TYPE HOSE CLAMPS Heavy Duty by BERGEN TOOLS

Orientation explained:
I've written the instructions with front meaning the number plate end of the engine bay and back being the windscreen side. Left and right as you stand in front of the engine looking at it.

Ok so you have assembled the tools, opened the bonnet so here we go.

1. Throttle body, disconnect the rubber pipe and move it to one side.

Steps 2 to 6 are regarding the disconnection of the Plenum chamber (air box that the throttle body is bolted to).

2. Disconnect the three pipes on the rear on the right hand side, not too far from the throttle body.
3. Left hand top , unclip the black pipe and electrical wire from the black plastic retainer and move them to one side.
4. Black canister to the rear left, undo the two alum bolts and push the canister to the rear. Use your socket set to unbolt the 15cm support bar and remove.
5. Rear lower, undo and remove two alum bolts that secure the chamber to the engine, one each side.
6. Unclip the six air intake pipes at the plenum chamber end. No need to unclip them from the chrome pipe end. You'll notice that the jaws on the hose clip pliers have slightly different angle, if you get them around the right way they work a lot better!
7. Standing by the passenger side wheel, lean into the engine bay. Grip the throttle body and lift upwards and towards the rear. Whatever you do, do not poke, fiddle or otherwise interfere with the flapper valve in the throttle body. Just keep your fingers out of there! As you lift the aluminium Plenum chamber pipe will pop out of the six air intake boots. Congratulations you now have the plenum chamber and throttle body in your hands. You may want to cover the air intake pipe to stop debris going into the engine (sods law and all that).
8. At the front of the engine undo the four alum bolts that hold on the "Alfa Romeo" cover and remove it.
9. You now have six coil packs exposed, all held in place with four alum bolts. All alum bolts are have been the same size, not so difficult after all is it? Undo and remove the coil pack alum bolts. Be careful not to drop the two cable clips from the rear coil packs down the back of the engine. These are held in place by the alum bolts.
10. In the boot, disconnect the battery
11. You should be able to lift the three rear coil packs out as a unit without further dismantling, likewise the front three.
12. Remove the plugs, you'll need an extension bar.
13. Before putting the new plugs in use the insulating tape to secure your plug socket to your extension bar. You don't want the socket coming off and staying with the plug!
14. Putting everything back together is the reverse of above.

Note, refitting the plenum chamber can be a little awkward. I removed an engine breather pipe from just to the rear left of the plenum chamber and also the breather pipe union that is screwed into the engine. This did require a deep reach socket though, 25mm I think.

The only not standard tools were the hose clip pliers and the deep reach socket. I chose to spend far more time that it took to change the plugs on cleaning and repainting the plenum chamber, throttle body and front coil pack cover. Unfortunately I can't show the picture of that either.
I hope this helps, Brian.
alexGS likes this.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Worcestershire
Thanks for the write up. Re pictures you're probably best to utilise Photobucket or equivalent?
AO Member
County: Surrey
Might as well change the plugs when doing the cambelt/water pump. by the time you get to the plugs you're more than half way there!
AO Member
County: Notfordshire
Handle with care...

Did you find that the wiring to the coils had gone hard/brittle and ideally needs some degree of care when handling?
AO Member
County: Merseyside
When I owned my V6 earlier this year, I set about dong this job using a 'how to guide' on this forum. It was very satisfying once I had done it, because it is a pig of a job. But I took pictures before and after and marked carefully each part that I disconnected.
Good write up!
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 26-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
MGTV asked if I had found that the wiring to the coil packs had gone brittle with age. No, as with anything mechanical of this age (16yrs) I was as gentle as possible and on the lookout for age related issues with everything, rust, cracks, perishing etc. The coil packs were fine.
Dva, I'm glad that you found a previous write up on this forum of help but I have to completely disagree that this is a pig of a job. Granted you can't just change the spark plugs with a spark plug socket and have the job done in 15 minutes. You do need to disconnect a few parts for access but everything you need to get to is right there infront of you. There isn't any searching with just your finger tips to feel the head of a bolt, nothing that needs setting up again (like a timing belt), nothing that needs retensioning (like an alternator belt), nothing that requires bleeding (like the braking system). It's a straight forward mechanical, take it apart,,,, put it back together again job. I had put this job off due to people saying it was really difficult but found those stories to be massively overblown hence me putting my write up together to encourage even the average weekend mechanics out there to have a go.
alexGS likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 26-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
Right, we have pictures! It's taken me an hour (which took me longer than taking the car apart). Picture 11 and 12 are around the wrong way and 11 is cropped for some reason but neither issue makes much difference.
P.S. I am particularly proud of the paint job.
P.P.S. How do you give an album in photobucket a title?

scambsiodieselgt's Recent Uploads | Photobucket
AO Silver Member
County: Devon
A good write up and the paint looks good too.

As you say it's very much a 'nuts and bolts' job that doesn't require any real skill, but I think people new to car maintenance get a little wary when they take the plenum off because they feel that they are getting to a point of no return as they are most likely striping more off the top of the engine than they may have ever done before. However it's a good job to do to get you a little more used to working on the beautiful Busso

Unimpressed by cars with less than 4 cylinders or below 1600cc.....and don't get me started on hybrids

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

change , gtv , guide , plug , spark

« sun roof | Bumpers »