Removing and Repainting My Interior Plastics - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
! its any grade far as i am aware

2 i painded loads on and tackled area by area......... thought about the VAT but thought it was expensive

3 i dont think there is any chance of it burning through the plastic

4 you do need to have a perfect clean grease free area once ready, I used 4-5 light coats of halfords Plastic Primer and a very light 2000 grade wet and dry sandpaper after final primer coat, then i used the Matt Black Paint also from Halfords and again 4-5 payers built up and a light 2000 grade sand paper afterwards...... final result is Mat and a tough hardened silk smooth finish

Originally Posted by Alk91 View Post
Hi all,

Read this thread with interest as my phase 1 also suffers from the awful sticky melted plastic syndrome and it really lets the car down. I am thinking of having a go at taking the centre console apart and respraying as others seem to have done. Before I start I hope no one minds me asking some silly questions:

1) I'm going to use brake fluid as suggested by a few people - does it have to be any particular type of brake fluid or will any do? Say this one from Halfords Comma DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid 1L

2) How did you bathe the console in the fluid? Paint it on or leave it in a vat full of the stuff?

3) How long should it stay in the brake fluid for? I am a bit worried about melting the plastic.

4) Are there any particular paints you would recommend? I was just looking at some Halfords primer and matt black.

Any help appreciated!
Alk91 likes this.

If it all seems under control..............your not going fast enough !!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
Originally Posted by greenhedges View Post
I have just completed this job on my Spider and as recommended by another forum member, I used Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Grease & Sparkle 3.00 (purple and green spray bottle)

After removing the parts from the car I liberally sprayed the two console pieces with the Cillit Bang cleaner and used ultra fine grade 0000 wire wool to remove the black gunk. This took 2 to 3 spray applications and action with the ultra fine wire wool. Once black gunk removed I washed and then used paint prep to clean off the surface prior to painting. Then used PlastiKote grey primer 2-3 coats followed by 2-3 coats of PlastiKote Matt Black.

The finished result is excellent and looks very much like the original but now without the black sticky gunk!
Hi Greenhedges,

That's great - I will give the Cillit Bang a go and report back!
AO Member
County: Moselle

Member car:

gtv 3L V6 24v

simply used owen cleaner and rinced with water !
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Originally Posted by greenhedges View Post
I used Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Grease & Sparkle
Originally Posted by dirka View Post
simply used owen cleaner and rinced with water !
Probably NaOH in both cases. Caustic soda.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider