New here! Bunch of questions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 16-09-15 Thread Starter
County: -
New here! Bunch of questions

Hi, im new here. Have a 2000 GTV 2.0 TS Lusso with 155 hp and 76000 km on it (live in Germany). I have a few questions where i could really use some help clarifying. Thank you everyone in advance.

1. Would a Brera/159 Steering wheel fit on a GTV? I know i know keep it original but the inside of the Lusso GTV is already pretty modern with the aluminum style trim, so i think it would look nice.

2. The clutch grabs about 3/4 of the way up but doesnt slip, still grabs hard as hell. Whats weird is is the clutch is very heavy, but the top inch or two is light as a feather. Strange. What could this be?

3. How difficult is it to swap out the front bumper? Mine is faded (was black, now a dark gray). And how difficult to swap out the rear alfa emblem? Do i need to take the whole thing off somehow with the keyhole or just the badge on front? (Also faded).

Thank you again in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Troms
3: buying a used bumper will still have a dull look in the sun or any light, to a less extent then your current bumper but still dull. My advice is to take it to a detailer, he will buff it. or buy endless detailing supplies and do it on your own. If the car still has stock paint then its just dull from all the micro scratches (Improper washing). it looks good in the shade but when you put any light on it you see it looks grayish whiteish black. Takes a good 2 hours to do a bumper properly, 2 or 3 stage polish. if they do a ok job then you will still see micro buffing scratches. and if they do a good job you wont see anything in the paint.
Picture 1: all cars on this forum look like this if your not a detailing nut, most people dont know how to wash there car properly = picture 1.
Picture 2: classic detailing mistake, most likely a rotery buffer micro marring, meaning fine scratches that is left by the detailer as he was buffing the hood (you can see the lines as he was buffing). can be from bad technique, can be from lack of residue control.
3: (The Miesters pictorial GTV boot badge guide)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirl-mark-5.jpg (88.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 69ss2.jpg (138.9 KB, 13 views)
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 16-09-15 Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice, ill get it buffed then. The paint tho looks actually pretty clear from scratches and it shines good but then again i havent looked at it THAT closely yet. But it is exactly like you said, in the shade or when its dirty you dont see it, but when its just been washed or when i polished it myself once (im admittedly not great at it) or in the sun then the bumper is almost a gunmetal color, only a tiny bit darker.
AO Silver Member
County: North Lanarkshire
Re the steering wheel I dont think the brera one would fit (I own a brera and a 916 spider which has the same wheel as your GTV). Why not get the wheel refurbed? Theres a thread on here with details of the company who does it (they will even send a temp one while they refurb yours). You can get it re-done in leather or alacantra etc in any colour you fancy. Theres pics on here of one of the members steering wheels who had it done and it looked incredible.
AO Member
County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

On your 2 question, slave cylinder going to his end = the one on top of the gearbox. If it is very oily underneath, thats it
Otherwise could be the clutch pressure housing itself
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 19-09-15 Thread Starter
Thank you for all the help. Another question:

My GTV has 5x98 rims or? I want to buy some telephone dial style rims used but they dont have the bolts anymore. What kind of bolts come in them?
AO Silver Member
The steering wheel from a MITO fits.

159/Brera... no idea.

Wheels are 5x98 58,1mm centre bore.

A google or forum search will bring up answers to all these questions (and more).
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 30-09-15 Thread Starter
So an update and new question. Went to the polisher and asked him to bring back the color in the bumper. He told me the bumper has been repainted with the wrong color so it either needs to be repainted or get a new/used one. Luckily i found a used one for only 50 euros, problem is i need to take it off myself. Could someone guide me through this? Because it looks like it is rivitted on the outside side of the lights, and i really dont even know where to start. Thanks again guys
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Aalborg
Have a look in the print out of front bumper fitting/removal from the service manual.

You can also download the Service Manual yourself from the link below. (New GTV owner)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front_Bumper.pdf (127.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Henrik_45; 30-09-15 at 18:31.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bunch , questions