Rain sensor gone wild! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 3.2 JTS

Rain sensor gone wild!

Most of the time I the wipers set to rain sensors – when it rains the wipers will then start going. It’s excellent, when it works! Most of the time it does not.

Every time it starts to rain I have to reset the sensor by turning it on and off. I don’t like it – but I can live it what. The next and more important issue is that the wipers often get completely wild. The wipers start running now and then when it starts to rain. Then after ½ hours or so – even when it has stopped to rain. The wipers start running on level one. Then full speed! This happens when it is not raining or when the rain is very light.

In general the rain sensor does not work. The dealer has replaced it once without any change. It must be a fault in the standard sensor or in the software itself. The rain sensor timing and sensibility is not good.

Any other Brera/Spider owner’s with the same problem?

Alfa Spider, 3.2 JTS, Carbonio Black, Red Leader, all options...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: Rain sensor gone wild!

The rain sensor is also ****e in my car..... I just dont use it. Frustrating but not the end of the world I guess.

The worst is light rain, or motorway spray - only needs an occasional wipe but mine go mental.

Should be able to disconnect
the sensor and revert to standard
intermittant. (That's how it worked
on the 147)
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Originally Posted by Mogle View Post
Every time it starts to rain I have to reset the sensor by turning it on and off.
I guess you mean off then on? I think that that is standard operation. You cannot leave it turned on, and expect it to do everything. You need to give it a clue that it's raining, and activate by turning it on. I haven't checked in the user manual, but that's how I understand it.
I'm happy with the way mine works. I believe that the windscreen has to be clean to ensure normal operation. That is, no residue of wax/polish on the screen. I use Autoglym glass cleaner, especially after polishing.

On my GTA, if you leave the wipers set to automatic when you stop the engine and start it again they will not be on. Turning the switch to off and then back on, it does a single wipe to indicate it is on.

I do find mine irritating though, it thinks drizzle=downpour most of the time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

rain , sensor , wild