Weird problem annoying the neighbours! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Weird problem annoying the neighbours!

Over the last 6 months or so my ph1 gtv seems to be experiencing a rather strange problem. Every now and again (in the middle of the night usually) my horn will just start blaring. It's not the alarm as I've removed the siren and belive the control unit was removed by an earlier owner. It's a constant note too as if someone is holding their hand down on the horn. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Not too sure what to check. As you can imagine my neighbours aren't too impressed so I'm very keen to get this sorted asap so I can avoid running outside in my dressing gown at 5am desperately trying to disconnect the battery!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Remove relay I3 overnight. I3 is on the top right of the post May 1997 fusebox, third up on the left ( immediately above the double sized relay ) if pre May 1997. Confirm by sticking your finger on the relay and pressing the horn. You should feel it click.

After removal, if the problem recurs, you have a wiring fault. If the problem goes away ( over a period long enough to be certain ) it is either the relay or the horn 'switch' behind the airbag.
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
I used to own an Opel Kadett GT/E which did exactly the same thing, but only in wet conditions. It turned out to be the wire to the horn from the horn push had a connector in it which was lying next to the bodywork and when a slight puddle formed the horn would intermittently blast away, sometimes in the middle of the night and sometimes as I was driving along. I had very powerful air horns fitted, so I was not popular with the neighbours or the driver just in front of me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

annoying , neighbours , problem , weird