Sorry to cover old ground - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By BrianB72
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

GTV 2.0

Sorry to cover old ground

I'm new to GTV ownership so please forgive me if the questions I'm about to asked have been asked over and over again! I bought an in between gtv 2.0ts, been told it's a mix between ph1 and ph2, I've done loads of cosmetic work new badges all round new door rubbers. The clutch went the other month, and being out of work I've had to wait to get it done, I saw the slave cylinder post too late and just made the stupid assumption that the "strange" clutch feel was normal. The engine makes a ticking noise when hot and increases with engine revs, I've added hydraulic lifter stuff to the oil and it seems to have quite end it down, I've also added fuel additive to the tank as it only just passed the MOT on Friday!
So my questions are: any one got a drivers side wing mirror, the chuckle brothers who fixed my car managed to not attach the tow eye correctly and half way up the ramps the old girl decided to have it away on her toes, catching the wing mirror.
This ticking noise: any ideas? I'm thinking to change the oil next.
Oil level hasn't dropped at all since I got it and has remained resolutely on the max mark, implications of too much oil in one of these engines?
I'm looking at doing the timing belt, it was done about 2 1/2 years ago but I want to be sure!
What should I look to get beside belt and tensioner's. Is it advisable to do the water pump and Variator as well?!

I'm sorry it's so wordy but up until today I was contemplating sending it to the scrapper! But I gave it a blast done the motorway today and now it's reignited my love for the car!
Colo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Alfa git
How many miles since your belt change? I wouldn't personally spend the cash if she's not done 30k since the last belt. The consensus is to change your water pump at the same time as although they have a good rep, they only cost 30 and you might as well pay the insurance.

What colour is your car (re wing mirror).

Out of interest how much did you pay for new clutch, who did it for you?

If she's on Max , she's not overfilled? That would be my motto
AO Member
County: Surrey
You'll get a ticking noise if there is a leak in the exhaust manifold or downpipe.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 17-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

GTV 2.0

The belt does need doing, although the cars only done 20k since the last change its been a while in terms of time. Having looked at Alfa workshops prices it'll be going there for this and I will ask them to do the water pump as well!
I got a mobile mechanic to do the clutch, however with the damage they've done to the car and our fence I won't be using them again or even recommending them to anyone, they've done the clutch and that's about it, until I gave it a really good run it still stank of burning clutch, another mechanic friend of mine said its because they hadn't cleaned out the clutch bell housing.
Mr Clutch quoted 399 these guys were marginally cheaper by about 50.
The only reason I didn't do the clutch myself is the lack of space under the vehicle I'm always wary about working on things on stands!
I believe the colour is atoll blue it's a deep blue, I need to check the colour plate in the engine bay.

My plan for this week is to drop the oil do the filter and refil with new stuff at least then I can record when I did it! And then watch the level from there!
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
The ticking noise that increases with revs could be the variator. It's a job best done when the timing belt is replaced as they need to take the belt off to replace it. Oil should be 10w40.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cover , ground