Spider won't start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Spider '97

Spider won't start

My 1997 Spider has decided not to start! At first it was happening intermittently, now it's permanent. No fuel is getting through, and it just doesen't wanna spark. I had a similar problem last year when the key code light would stay on, although i managed to fix it by resetting the keys from the master key. This time the keycode light goes out. Resetting the keys make no difference, though I do think it is an ignition fault..

Pls can anyone help?

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Spider won't start

Hey Buddy,

When you say doesn't start, does the car not turn over at all? or does it turn over but never catch and actually start?

Are any lights on as in engine, emission light, oil etc?

If you pump the gas pedal whilst its turning over does this help?

Have you taken off the engine cover and check all your plugs and leads are tight or if there is any fluid around your coil packs?

Post exactly what the car is doing and see what we can do...also how do you know its not sparking or no fuel is being pumped through?

Cheers Josh
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Spider '97

Hi Spiderme

Thanks for replying..

The car turns over, but won't catch or start. The ignition lights are on as usual, but the keycode light turns off after a second, as I believe it should. Pumping the gas makes no difference. There's no fluid around the coil packs - i got Green Flag out and he confirmed it wasn't sparking and no fuel was getting through. He did test by putting easystart in, which made it want to start, he suggested that it could be fuel pump or ignition.

As it had been an intermittent problem that had got worse over the coarse of the prevoius week,it feels like the ignition is shutting everything off - as though the immobiliser is still on.

I would be grateful for any ideas as what it might be, and how to test or solve the problem!

AO Member
County: Bucks

Member car:

sounds like the fuel pump to me
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

Check the fuel pump relay. S12a according to manual. Its in different places/positions depending on which Motronic you have. It may be show in the owners guide.

Others to check are S41 (main) and S42 as these control injector, coils and components of this system. All 3 are together on the fuse board, I think, as the diagrams are not clear!!!

Last edited by armoore; 09-09-07 at 14:44.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

spider , start