Sharper Brakes - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Originally Posted by euroboy View Post
Im now waiting on some different brackets to allow me to fit some 330mm discs from the GTAs
What calipers are going to be used with the 330mm brackets? Or is the plan to spacer out the 166 calipers +4mm?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Notfordshire

Originally Posted by GJR68 View Post
I changed to PF pads and braised hoses on my V6. They are now what I would describe as 'average'. They squeal a bit and grip when cold is not great. I don't know what it is with the GTV brakes. They seem to need far more force exerted on the pedal to attain the same stopping performance. Servo maybe? Whatever it is, if your not used to it, you can have a few scary moments as your clenching your teeth pressing the brake pedal harder than you've had to do in any other car this side of the 1970's.
I have to agree - although a 330mm set-up seems much better than the OE.

On the road, I find the PF pads are pretty average from cold and very far from outstanding.

Really, they need the heat kept in them to work effectively, which is when they eventually seem to brake rather well.

But this is just not practicable on UK roads and a standard road pad is probably much better for normal adult driving (and a LOT cheaper!)....

Therefore, I would probably class them best as track-day pads - in which scenario they will get a lot of repeated use, stay hot and thus work properly.

On the road, you would have to drive like (K)Nobby Nova to keep them up to temperature.

I'm looking to replace mine fairly soon, probably with EBC Ultimax 2s...
AO Silver Member
County: -
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
What calipers are going to be used with the 330mm brackets? Or is the plan to spacer out the 166 calipers +4mm?
Yup, space the 166 Callipers,

2009 Lancia Deltas used 330x28mm with a 4x98PCD. Could have these re-drilled for 5x98.

Come to think of it, I think the 159 used 330x28mm in a 5x110 config, so could re-drill those too.
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
PF Pads and standard disks worked well for me. Not amazing when compared to more modern cars, but the brake pedal on the GTV has a long travel, so when you really stand on it, it really stops - I actually quite like the longer pedal travel.

About a year later like you I had to replace my hose lines as corroding a bit, so got the Goodridge braided ones, the pedal feel after putting the braided hoses on was not nice, felt quite wooden. Personally I would stay away from the braided lines.

My Two Pence Worth.
(Post Link) post #30 of 30 Old 27-06-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Well, I worked on the brakes and got the car through the MOT.

Lots of other jobs had to be done too so to keep within something at least in sight of a budget the brake solution was:

Rear - Std Pagid disks with OEM pads
Front - M-Tec grooved and pimpled disks with OEM pads
New front flexible brake hoses
DOT 4 fluid change
All calipers cleaned and sliding properly on their pins

There is a bite to braking now with the nose dipping and a controlled feel. Nowhere near as good as a modern car but I can now brake with confidence.

When the front pads are up for renewal I might try some EBCs and see what the difference is but for now I've got an Alfa that stops and goes so noting to complain about!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

brakes , sharper