Steel Brake Pipe Set - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By sussexspiderman
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 01-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Steel Brake Pipe Set

Well besides the CV boot I did last weekend, the Spider also needed a rear brake pipe replacing, you know where they always corrode just above the compensator. Well I started the job, and I now need all 4, but to be honest they were that bad I'm glad I started the job, as they definitely weren't safe. My intention was to just replace the one with copper, but now it's all 4 I'm wondering about getting the 4 as parts. Anybody know anywhere that still stocks the 4 pipes for a 99 Plate, 2.0L Spider. I got the part numbers off eper

Or are these alfa only parts, where the parts guy sucks air through his teeth, makes a price up, and then takes 3 months for delivery?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol
I took mine in to a local old school motor factors where they copied them. They charge by the meter plus a bit for the unions. You just bend them in to shape under the car.
AO Member
County: East Sussex
You can easily make them yourself if your handy with tools. There are two types of copper type brake pipe reels one is more plyable than the other and easier to work with a brake pipe flaring tool.The male and female ends can be had on ebay for peanuts.

Many years ago I had a new customer with an old bmw and he was quoted £600 to fix his rusty brake pipes as the garage said they needed to drop the twin exhausts and then drop his petrol tank to get at the run of brake pipe. I simply ran the new pipe around the upper side of the tank and secured it well saved him £500. The pipes do not have to exactly follow the original route although it is best they do if at all possible.
Jowey likes this.
AO Member
County: Powys
Recently had to have a new pipe to drivers front.Re-route or engine out ......hmmmm tough choice
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
The garage must have been attempting to rip you off JRow? At worst all that needs removing is the inlet phlenum, but you could still do it with inlet in place but it will be a pig of a job!
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 03-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
To save anybody else wondering in the future, they are no longer stocked by Alfa themselves, so the only real option is to make your own.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
Agree with the safety comment....................... the original brake pipes have a plastic coating over the actual pipe, this hides any issue that brake pipes have until to late, I was left without brakes over Christmas after having it fail, My indi showed me the piece of brake pipe that needed replacement and i could see the as good as new plastic coated pipe hiding a badly corroded piece of brake pipe..................... when he cut away the plastic it revealed some really quite rusty brake pipes
AO Member
County: Surrey
I had exactly the same issue. Rather than buying a whole new pipe and worrying about rerouting just buy some 3/16 Kunifer piping and some male female fittings and splice in repair sections from each compensator fitting to the existing brake line. Just remember which line goes to which fitting and also note there are two differnt sizes of male fittings going into the compensator for some reason. Cant rememebr both the fitting sizes but but any motor factor should be able to match the old ones and the most common size is 10mm. Start with a roll of pipe and fittings

Dont go for the cheapest flaring tool on ebay they dont work. get this one instead which allows you to flare pipes while still on the car

You will also need a basic pipe cutter

Its a lot easier to do than most people think, and actually rather fun once you get the hang of it. They key is to watch a couple of youtube videos and practice on a few lengths of pipe until you get a good flare. If you add up the total cost of the parts above you will realize what a rip off ready made pipe kits are!
AO Member
County: -
My gtv was up for mot and when the guy was checking the brakes one of the brake pipes gave up at the compensator,the unions at the compensator were that badly corroded a spanner wouldnt even go around I'm between mechanics at the moment I decided to fix it myself.bought a flaring tool from halfrauds and 2 rolls of copper pipe,had a few goes with the flaring tool to get the flares right,done one pipe at a time remembering which order they go into the compensator,it took a bit of time but basically straight no mechanic,and after having to bring cars back to mechanic after crappy work I have a lot more confidence when pressing the brakes as I know it has been done right.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

brake , pipe , set , steel