Clutch pedal problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By sussexspiderman
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 31-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
Clutch pedal problem

Yesterday I drove my Spider from Peterborough down to the ExCeL in London (spotted Jillyflower long time no see Jilly)

Along the A14 I changed down a gear and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor,firstly I thought it was stuck under the mat but it wasn't I managed to get my foot under the pedal and flick it back up again and all was well until I had a ****** stop at the services near Stansted when it did it again.

Carried on down to the ExCeL with no problems clutch was working fine also drove back home to Peterborough with no problems.

So has anyone had an similar problems,i had a new slave cylinder fitted about 18 months ago,is the master about to let go ? or will bleeding the system solve it.

The early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
Same happened to my ended up being the master cylinder.not an easy job,small fingers help which I don't have.get yourself into the foot well to see if it's leaking,it's hard to see you really have to lay on your back and look upwards.hope this helps.
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
I concur, your master cylinder is shot. This is determind by a clutch that without warning goes to the floor (Very dangerous in traffic) ....but when lifted with toes is firm again until the cylinder looses pressure again, anytime soon.

Two bolts hold it to bulkhead but the bugger is the hydraulic line which gives you little to work with and can be a PITA. The piston is held to pedal with a metal clip and washer.
AO Member
County: East Sussex
The master cylinder can be faulty without showing leaks. The job is a lot easier if you undo the two front lower engine mounts as well as the stabiliser bar and drop the engine down a few inches, even so still takes over an hour to do. I did 2 gtvs last week neither showed signs of fluid loss .
Rich_wookey likes this.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Originally Posted by sussexspiderman View Post
...... The job is a lot easier if you undo the two front lower engine mounts as well as the stabiliser bar and drop the engine down a few inches....
So that's how its done!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

clutch , pedal , problem