I'm so glad I found this forum, it's made very interesting reading over the last couple of weeks. I hope to be around for a long while to give and receive advice & share spider stories. I bought a '99 2.0TS Spider a few weeks ago, I'm already completely infatuated
with it . The list of jobs to do is growing daily and I could do with a few days off work to tackle some of this stuff because I'm itching to get 'her' back on top form. I Would appreciate your advice on any or all of the following. Cheers!
The ever-expanding Spider 'To Do' list :-
1. It's not a Lusso but it does have aircon. If only it would produce a little cold air....
with roof up/window closed/engine running and fan speed set to zero, pressing aircon button makes fan start slowly suggesting that the aircon button is at least connected to something
, can't find any indication that aircon is active (should there be a dash light or LED?) and only warm air comes through the vents. Any advice on what to check first?
2. Removed very poor standard head unit & clarion changer from cubby hole. Can't beleive that the wiring would have left the factory in the state I found it and can only assume some monkey did a very bad head unit re-wire at some point. Have re-wired & replaced HU (single CD/Radio) and will modify wiring again soon to add ignition-switched positive feed to HU - I'm bound to forget to switch it off one day and trash the battery. I managed to find the illumination wire in the loom (it was disconnected but left hanging and bare-ended!) I checked it's operation with a multimeter and it seems to be fine but turning headlights on has no effect on HU illumination? I have a hole where standard rear sub once lived and hope to replace it with an 8" sub - if I can find one that will fit and is in keeping with the car (it won't be a 'mutant' with Celtic-swirls grille!) I'm adding a small JBL amp to drive the sub. - I guess this long story could use a thread of it's own.
3. Drivers electric window (it's not an auto-drop), single down press sends the window all the way down no problem, but pressing up (either constant press or brief press) only sends the window up an inch or so, then it just stops. It's taking 13 presses to get it up (so to speak), I need to take both door panels off to check speaker wiring, so any thoughts on what to check while door skins are off ? Passenger window is fine.
4. Car came with 'fat' service history but no documentary evidence of Cambelt/Variator replacement. 72,000 service was performed at 47k miles but not at an Alfa dealer (car has now done 59k). I can't decide whether to bite the bullet and get it done ASAP, risking the fact that it may
have been done 12,000 miles ago. Is there any way to check age/condition of belt/variator? I have two Alfa specialists nearby : http://www.betacar.co.uk/
I'm sure both of these guys could do the job but any recommendations or advice ?
5. Electric mirrors. Passenger side works fine-ish, it's a bit sluggish and 'jumpy', drivers side tries to work, I can hear motor whirring in mirror housing but mirror doesn't move - it wobbles a bit as though it's trying to move - mirror glass seems to be mounted properly?
6. Fog lights, rears are fine but fronts are completely INOP, will check fuse/relay/bulbs before getting multimeter out again to tackle the vermicelli loom.
7. Anyone have a genuine Alfa wind deflector on their Spider? One came with the car but as daft as it sounds I can't figure out how it should attach. I can get the horizontal section clamped into position but the vertical mesh bit just flops around. I'm either being very dumb or I'm missing some peices.
8. Airbag light doesn't come on at all when switching ignition on, I expected it to come on and go out after a few seconds. Guess it could be a duff lamp but concerned that it may have been disconnected for some reason. - Anything to test/check ?
9. Managed to get electric aerial working today, just needed some tlc & lube, however just read the following warning in the Spider Owners Handbook : "DO NOT LUBRICATE THE AUTOMATIC AERIAL" oooops !
Oh and to top it all the red brake fluid light flashed on briefly while driving today, followed a few seconds later by a brief flash of both the front brake pad wear light (pads=700 miles old) and the abs light. All three stayed out while driving for a further hour to get home. Hoping it's just dodgy electrics and nothing more sinister/expensive. This car is gonna give me sleepless nights
but I still love it.
There is more!! honestly, I could go on and on (and probably will at a future date!) but I'd really appreciate any assistance with any of the above. I'm happy to post pics of problem areas/work done and fixes and hope to be able to help out other Spider/GTV owners in turn.