Just bumping this as I've finally got my wheel done.
It's essentially the same as the OP in terms of trim ( except for the stitching colour ).
However, mine is based on the 166 wheel.
The audio controls ARE functional. They even glow in the dark!
This was not an easy mod. There are 3 main problems with using a 166 wheel -
1. The shroud at the back of the wheel is about 14mm too short and normally leaves a large unsightly gap to the steering column cover. I added a spacer to the 166 shroud and got it re-covered at the same time as the wheel. No gap and it does look quite nice!
2. You can use the GTV clockspring with a 166 wheel but if you have the ultra rare wheel with audio controls you have to use the 166 clockspring. Unfortunately, the column side airbag connector is not the same as the standard GTV/Spider connector. What I have done is to wire in a second connector to mate with the 166 clockspring. Having two connectors means I could revert to a standard GTV/Spider wheel very quickly if I wanted to. The connector for the 166 clockspring is the same as the GTV/Spider underseat pretensioner connector.
3. There is no commercially available interface for the 166 audio controls ( as far as I can find! ). As a result, I had to design and build my own interface.
Here are the airbag connectors.
The more orange connector is the standard GTV/Spider connector. The yellow one next to it is the one I have added which I cut from the pretensioner wires of a GTV being broken.
At the top left immediately below the speedo is the 4 way connector for the audio controls. The pink and pink/black wires ( 166 colours ) are the audio signals and the other two wires are for the illumination LEDs.
This is the prototype interface I've made -
It's only temporary as I'm in the process of making a better one. There are a lot more components on the other side of the board! As I had a Sony RM-X4s audio control stalk connected to a suitable interface for use with my Kenwood head unit, my temporary 166 interface translates the 166 resistance values to Sony values which are then translated for the Kenwood head unit. It's not ideal having two levels of interface although it does work
The interface I'm working on is microprocessor based. It'll take the 166 signals and convert them directly into the Kenwood commands. It's currently working in prototype form but I still have to add some power saving to it so it doesn't drain the battery and then I have to build it properly.