Replacement for electric aerial - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By biancofreddo
  • 1 Post By tatter
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Merseyside
Replacement for electric aerial

For all those who are frustrated with their electric aerial and may want to discard it altogether in favour of a fixed unit, this may help:

It's a Hirschmann, so is good quality. Having gone through two electric aerials (original and replacement) I've fitted one to mine and I think the reception has improved.

It doesn't need an electrical feed and the mast can be unscrewed.

The only slight issue is that the original hole in the wing is too large for the nut underneath (the rubber mount on the outside covers it fine). I solved this by using a large washer with a larger hole (10mm) drilled through it to accept the aerial.

The angle at 20 degrees is just about right. In the photo from the rear it looks like it is leaning to the left but I think this is a slight photo illusion. In reality, it looks ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spider aerial side.jpg (48.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg spider aerial rear.jpg (54.9 KB, 22 views)
spookone likes this.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Not thought about a fixed aeriel before but I do need to do something about mine. Living in Manchester I'd be worried about it being "up" all the time, the temptation for some scrote to punch it as they're walking by might be too much for them to resist! Where does it unscrew, right at the base?

What's the external diameter of the washer needed, would a standard M10 do the job without having to get the drill out (10mm internal diam, 20mm external diam)?

Muz likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 19-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Merseyside
Yes, mast unscrews at the base so there is nothing to bend or break off.

Most convertibles theses days, including the 939 Spider seem to have fixed aerials.

Apologies, typing error! The hole in the washer needs to be 15mm not 10mm. I couldn't find a washer big enough with the correct sized hole. So I had a 32mm diameter washer and drilled a 15mm hole in it. Worked ok....

Last edited by biancofreddo; 09-06-16 at 19:08.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

aerial , electric , replacement