Spider door glass seal repair - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By Davetech74
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 05-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Meath
Spider door glass seal repair

Thought I would share this as its a bugbear for me not being able to get these seals.
My door window seals are cracked both sides at the edge of the glass and this lets water drip straight onto the door lock.

IMG_20150605_132525.jpg Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

I decided to do a small repair while I am still looking for new seals so I got some Geocel Auto RTV rubber sealent. If you have used it before you know how stretchy it can be so I thought it would be great for that corner section.

I ran the window down an inch or two and put some tape on the door. Then put a big blob of sealant right where the crack is. I shaped it with a craft knife to smooth it out a bit.

IMG_20150605_135046.jpg Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

I let it dry off in the sun for an hour and then cut away the excess.

IMG_20150605_144319.jpg Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

Job done until I can get new seals...
147virgin likes this.

Davetech74 - Kells
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol
Gonna try this myself. Mine are in worse condition than yours.
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
Thanks for posting. I think most older cars have this issue. I doubt if we will ever see new seals.so I'll give it a go.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Its a bugbear with me too, when parts become 'No Longer Available', the list is growing tried in vain to get RHS last year.. just missed the cut off!

Has been in the back of my mind to attempt a repair, it has gone in the same spot as yours.

thought I might remove it from the door to help close the gap, so to speak.

Is it difficult to get off?
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

alfa spider

I had a similar issue and resolved using a waterproof rubber sheet used for bridge building and cut it to profile and glued it over the offending split. It a perfect result
AO Member
County: -
Little bump for this thread...

So I'm assuming from the comments here that replacement rubbers/seals for the window/door join are no longer available? My driver's door looks worse than the OP's first image, in fact it's split entirely at the end near the door handle. This is obviously not great for driving in the rain or worse, washing the car.

Are there not 3rd party rubber strips we can get? Or bits from other Alfa's (or even other vehicles) that fit the bill?

Is refurbishment/repair the only viable option? If so, therebelmc, can you provide some pics and a run-down of what you did, with some links to this 'bridge building' rubber?

AO Member
County: Somerset
Common problem, unfortunately they have not been available for some time now. GTV ones were, but are of a different profile. The seal is more complicated than at first glance. They are a long U shape and seal both sides of the window and also attach and seal at the end of the door. If the original suppliers to Alfa still have the tooling then we might be able to get some more made, otherwise....not much hope as a re tool would probably not be financially viable.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

door , glass , repair , seal , spider