GTV - What kind of oil? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: GTV - What kind of oil?

For the record I am using 5w-40 Motul 8100 fully synthetic in my Nissan. I would have no worries about putting it in an Alfa either.

I think I paid £30 for 5 litres form Opie oils on ebay.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Thanks for locating that Thread, Darren. I really must take the time to learn how to link these things.
There is so much info on the Threads about oil, tyres and general wear and tear items that I agree with David C - it's all very confusing. Must admit that I think its just as important to keep the oil topped up between changes. I have had my GTV for three months and was amazed at how many of them had replacement engines when looking through the ads for one. I suspect, as others have pointed out, that this is because many have been company cars and only had the bonnet lifted at the service. Too late, damage done
I'm too new to Alfa ownership to know the history of the block but it must be an old design to use oil at the rate it does. Especially the 3.0, is it two 1500's bolted/welded together? Mazda Rotaries do the same in terms of oil consumption but that goes with the territory.
My view is stick to the high level spec in the handbook and get a recognised, quality brand, if you are only doing average miles, and keep the level checked. I can't believe the nuances in the chemistry make a significant difference.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

My knowledge about oil is very limited.I check the oil once or twice a week and change every 5-6000 miles,and that's about it.
When i first bought my Alfa like most i wanted to keep using Selina oil as recomended by Alfa, but this proved too expensive so for the past two years of ownership i have been using what i have always used Castrol Magnatec.
A lot of people on this site use this oil and a lot of people would use something different,but as i say my knowledge of oil and oil grades is very limited so i leave that up to the people at Castrol.
The important thing is to use the correct grade top up as nessasary and change between 5-10k.

Member car:

Alfa GTV 3.0 V6

I know this is probably a moot point but you do realise it should have had a timing belt change at 72,000? If it has been done, your oil shouldn't need changing already (unless you've done heavy mileage); if it hasn't been done I'd recommend changing it. Change it, change it NOW!!!!!!
(Post Link) post #30 of 30 Old 16-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Thanks for all the answers guys, it does seem to get more confusing the more you read!
All the belts were changed at 70k as a precaution when I bought the car, the oil i have always been changed on all my cars every 5k... spend money to save money i guess....
Having read all this, i´m not minded to change from 10w40 semi/synth magnatec

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , kind , oil