Jack cracked........... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 18-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Merseyside
Warning Jack cracked...........

Any body had their 916 jack fail?

Mine did today when I removed a front wheel to refurb a very faded caliper. OK on the raising the car , slotted in the correct position etc and easy up but after finishing the job, I was half way through letting it down , when there was a sudden crack and the car dropped an inch or so immediately. I quickly checked underneath as I though initially that the jack had slipped off the point and hit the underside of the floor , but it was still on the lip ( although had bent it outwards) . Looking further , the normal diamond shape formed by the jack looked deformed slightly. I was eventually able to wind the jack down although the thread had become really tight and get it out from under the car. The one of the two interlocked sections which meet at the top had come away and forced its self under the other one. The jack itself , which came with car ( and so is presumably 16 years old), up to now has worked fine , looked perfectly strong, little used and had no rust or visible damage. Good job it didn't go an hour earlier! Like most of us , I don't work under a car without axle stands 95% of the time , especially on the GTV where the stand has a small footprint, but the other 5% for quick/ minor stuff ...... well we all do it don't we??
so - could have been nasty. And of course equally dodgy if I had been at the side of the road changing a wheel.

Time to get plates welded onto the points and always use the trolley jack methinks ( which means buying a lower one!)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

2000 V6

It's a known issue, those scissor jacks are absolutely terrible. I would only use one in an emergency.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-gtv-jack.html (GTV Jack)
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
I've had one that has failed, they are rubbish, unreliable and dangerous
I use a 156 one now with a bigger lip and prefer the 19mm spanner with it rather than the one with the hole and winder.
I will only get under the car with axle stand but not for changing a wheel
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
I just bought some ramps with extension pieces - certainly makes jobs under the car even safer.

For any other work I will always put the wheel underneath the car if working outside of the vehicle. If I am ever going under the car then I will use axle stands, plus leave the trolley jack with a piece of wood on under a stable point as a backup.

It's just not worth it on these low cars - better to be safe etc etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cracked , jack