Fitting a new wishbone and droplink - how I did it... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Down
Fitting a new wishbone and droplink - how I did it...

Just went through the process of fitting a new wishbone and droplink at the same time. I'd read other posts which suggested it was difficult and have to say I scoffed a little- I'd removed, checked and replaced the wishbone on the other side, and it wasn't tricky at all, once I got the hub unit out of the way. But thanks to the extra stiffness of the new bushes, fitting a new one was just as bad as everyone said it might be!

Trouble was that the wishbone, once fitted, sat horizontal, and was nearly impossible to press downwards. Which you need to do, to allow clearance for the drop link to fit through the hole on the arm. Anyhow, here's how I managed it. You need some bungees, some weights, a bit of wire, a long pry bar and a helpful wife for the last bit (or a handy chum might work - we're only talking a minute's work!)

first thing is to get the hub unit out of the way. Once the two horizontal bolts are out, just push it upwards and hang it on a pair of bungees (see pics). I use two because it lets me lower it in two steps, which is useful when un hooking the bungees.

Anyhow, once the hub unit is raised about four-six inches, you'll have room to remove the old wishbone and fit the new one. This isn't too difficult, if you have a reasonable quality item. For info, I bought a cheap one from ebay and wasn't happy with the welding or finish - so I bit the bullet and bought a second one from ECP, which was much better quality (it's mainly about the welding of the captive nuts onto the clamps, and whether the bush housings are yellow passivated or just sprayed with silver paint...)

You'll find that once you have the arm fitted, the anti roll bar will be sitting on top of it. And with the droplink fitted to the end of the ARB, it's impossible to push the arm down far enough by hand to get that link through the hole.

I had some weights which I slung up and hung from the arm. This pulled it down almost far enough to get the drop link in. The last little bit of space was provided by getting my wife to push down on a prybar inserted under the ARB - which thus pushed it upwards, giving an extra cm or so to allow the drop link to fall into the hole in the arm.

I guess if you haven't got weightlifting kit handy, any heavy object would do.

Worked for me, anyhow, and might be of help to someone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wbarm1.jpg (67.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6005.jpg (91.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6006.jpg (109.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6011.jpg (62.8 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Glasgow
There's a specific tool you can get for bending the wishbone down when trying to get the balljoint pin aligned and fitting the drop link. eg. ebay # 141631030182 . Having used that I wouldn't fit a wishbone without it again.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Down

I never knew there was such a tool - it would certainly make things much simpler! Don't know about shelling out the 50 though, especially when I've got one side done!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

droplink , fitting , wishbone