air filters - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
air filters

want to replace air filter throttle body thing as mine has split on tubing, any advice on good air filters? and is that same as throttle body thing.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Re: air filters

Avoid. It's rubbish.

This is a open foam filter which sits in your engine bay and takes in hot air. The piece of pipe is to deliver a cold supply to the general vicinity of the filter, but that's not much use. One good thing about this type of filter is that it will sound good, but performance will suffer.

Better options are simply replace your standard filter in your standard intake with a better one - eg BMC.
Or a full BMC CDA intake - works fantastically.
Or build a custom airbox - ram air feed into a box from where your engine can such stagnant pressurised air. Some guy on this forum was talking about it and he really knows his stuff. Sorry can't remember his name but do a search on a few keywords.
AO Member

Hey mate,

I cannot recommend a BMC intake or filter highly enough. I purchased a K&N system which was just s**t. BMC are made in Italy and are well suited to all European cars.

haven't looked back since i got mine

Cheers Josh
AO Silver Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Be careful what air filter you fit as it may affect your MAF/AFM.

From the AlfaWorkshop's website "The Air Flow Meter works by seeing how much current it takes to keep a wire at a specific temperature. However it is a sensitive instrument and it can be contaminated by oil (often used in aftermarket performance air filters), damaged by excess vibration caused by broken air boxes and we have seen problems with GTV 3.0 litres being fitted with 2.0 litre filters which leaves about an inch gap through which contamination gets in."
AO Platinum Member

I've got a K&N on my GTV and I'm very happy with it
AO Member

Member car:

98 Alfa GTV V6

The K & N filter only fits the 2 litre, dont believe the website. they list the same part number for both 2 and 3 litre. this would be the inch gap mentioned on the alfaworkshop page.

i have ordered a dry foam filter from autodelta - not sure how good it is, will see!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , filters