Air Bags + Brakes GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-04-15 Thread Starter
County: -Australia
Air Bags + Brakes GTV

Hi I have recently experienced the brakes jamming and yet their all in excellent condition, it happened going downhill in the rain. Also the "dreaded air bag" light has come on as well. The red one.
My question is, "Is there a relationship between the air bag system and the brakes". That is can activation of the air bags in any way activate/influence the brakes

Last edited by Torbit; 29-04-15 at 23:26.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Stockholm
As far as I know, no. No correlation.

Can you elaborate further regarding the brake issue? What exactly do you mean by "jamming"? Do they lock up? Give a vibration through the steering wheel? More info please.

Regarding the airbag light. This issue is that common I'm surprised the cars didn't come out of the factory with the light on! Get yourself a diagnostic cable (search the forum to find what you need) and clear the code. Its easy as and saves you wasting money getting a mechanic to do it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 05-05-15 Thread Starter
County: -Australia
HI Vengeance I was going downhill in the rain about 50k's applied the brakes for a red light and it just skidded, I only applied light pressure.The brakes remained locked (jammed) until I hit the peddle several times. I put it in at a European mechanic's and he tested, He says front RHS rotor was blue and the bleed nipple was broken, he also said that he was able to reproduce the event at about 80k's although I haven't been able to since but I didn't try it at that speed only 40-60k's I tested. Time will tell of course but to be honest I'm not convinced. The number of Alfa's that seem to have this twin problem of brakes and "the dreaded air bag light" makes me wonder if there is a link even thru a third system maybe. So if anyone knows? can activation of the air bags act in any way on the brakes. e.g. In an accident can any system activate the braking system?
many thanks
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

98 ts spider

This happened to me. The fault was the brake line had collapsed on the inside so it could be seen just by looking.

Remove the caliper and pump the brakes, if the pads don't move much you have the same problem as I did.

When I pulled the rubber line, I cut it in half and there was only a 1-2mm of opening. If you replace the line, do both sides to ensure you get even pressure.

hope this helps

AO Silver Member
County: -
Sounds like you need an urgent brake overhaul.

Could be anything from a collapsed line to a sticking calliper. Blue discs = overheating.

The airbag light will not be related and will likely be from a faulty pre-tensioner connector, triggered when you have moved the seat with the ignition on.

A free copy of MES and a 15 cable (VAGCOM KKL) will allow you to reset it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , bags , brakes , gtv