GTV help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-07-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa GTV 1996

GTV help!

Firstly just a shout out to say "hi" to everyone because this is my first post after just joining.

I have a few problems with my 1996 GTV T-Spark. Ive had the car since October and love it to bits. Ive loved these cars since i was 17 but could only get insured when i turned 21, and now at 22 im hooked on Alfas. Its a real dream to own a GTV, I live in the middle of no-where in north wales and belive me it gets used as it should on the mountain roads! I love chasing strangers in Scoobys down!

Anyway why im here.

In the area i live not mnay people have even seen an Alfa yet alone a Gtv so the local garages wont touch a wheel bearing i need changing on the front, im wondering is this a big job and what tools would i need to do it myself? I need this doen for the MOT.

Also i just had a new screen fitted due to a nasty gash, as the guy took out the old one he found corrosion on the edge where the window sits - he says whoever changed the screen last time did a bodge job and it will only be a matter of time before the rust breaks into the open! should i cut my losses now and P/X it for something whilst looking for another GTV? what do you think?

My wipers keep sticking on intermitent!????

My car has air-con but only 1 big (2 speed) radiator fan, it stopped working and the source of the problem was found to be a fuse board found just below the power steering reservoir - under the black palstic cover. The fuse board went meltdown - possible water contamination. Ive called round breakers yards and asked mechanics and no-one seems to have a clue what it is or where i can get one! anyone out there hep me??!!!

Thanks guys and girls
Sponsored Links
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

Re: GTV help!

tough one about the windscreen. cant decide for you without seeing the problem...BUT he was probably talking crap, and over exagerating the problem.

id suggest seeing if you have a local mobile paintman who operates from a van (chipsaway are nationwide). they will come and view the problem, and advise. even if they cant fix it, they will tell you its severity.

the fuseboard problem - Search the net for alfa breakers, there is one called 'just alfas' who is very helpful, and tends to have a good selection of parts. they also sell on ebay.

wheel bearing - are you CERTAIN its the front bearing? they fail rarely, and its much more common for the rear bearings to fail. Have it checked properly if you havent already. should be able to hear rumbling noises when turning the wheel by hand.
AO Platinum Member
Re: GTV help!

Luke if I were you i'd take it to Allitalia in Tan-y-Fron, Wrexham, and get Howard to check it over for you. They do have some second hand parts for the GTV too. Given them a call on 01978 757588

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider