98 GTV 2.0TS not starting - Fuel pump wiring and relays - Experienced people needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 13-04-15 Thread Starter
County: Jihomoravský
98 GTV 2.0TS not starting - Fuel pump wiring and relays - Experienced people needed

Hi everyone,

I got myself into a pretty unpleasant situation. Over winter, my 916 GTV 2.0TS CF2 (1998) was staionary in my garage while I worked on various parts of it. It ran fine in November.

Engine is TURNING over fine, on the first attempt it even ran fine a very short time, you could hear fuel being combusted fine (about 0,5-1sec). Not on the next ones. I do NOT HEAR the fuel pump PRIME.

Alfa Romeo CODE lights up and then turns off LIKE IT SHOULD.

The car had an old Webasto TTC heater installed (picture), which I have removed about a month ago, because of extra weight and it not working anyway. Including all of the wiring. The removal of the heater has left me with a couple of wires that got me really confused. It appears that the heater only had one power source and that was it. It had a separate tiny fuel pump that i disconnected without issues.

The car also has an AIRCON DELETE.

The other wires (spliced into the same relay box => I'm assuming it's got to do with fuel pump relays and so on) must have been there for a different reason.

Wires connected to engine relay box:

Here is an image depicting three clearly non-factory splice-connected wires: Engine relays

Thinner red wire going straight through left hand door sills all the way to under the rear bench and to the fuel tank (pump, under that oval-ish metal cover between battery and rear seats). I assumed this was a fuel level check wire for the independent heating system, but likely it wasn't.

(Have not tried reconnecting)

Sadly I don't remember clearly where this wire went, however there is a connection above the fuse box, where a similar wire connects to a (pink? Not sure). Likely this was used to power the heater ecu and engine. In the wiring diagrams, I believe to have found, that this connection somehow powers the interior fan as well.

(BLUE TO FACTORY when i remove this spliced wire and connect the factory wires right above the fuse box – interior fan works, is clicking every 3-4 seconds, likely an actuator is trying to adjust something and keeps failing)

Fused wire, as seen on the picture, spliced into a PINK-WHITE near footwell: Footwell yellow

This one got me confused the most as i thought i'd simply connect everything back to factory and the car would work fine, however:

(BLUE AND YELLOW BACK TO FACTORY – Engine fan works, but the baterry is discharged extremely quickly to 8,5V and the dash suddenly dies)

I've come to understand that this is the fuel pump reset switch? RESET SWITCH

Solution needed!

I would greatly appreciate if anybody, who has maybe run into similar problems or has experience regarding AIRCON DELETE in GTV's could share any sort of information about this.

For how long should the pump reset switch be pressed for it to take effect?

There are three relays in this relay box (red, black, red), what do they do?

I've read that the fuel pump relay should be somewhere in there, which one is it?

Why would the red wire (GREEN ARROW) run all the way from the engine bay to the fuel pump? :X

How do i get my GTV started? Did I cut some important wires or could a relay fail?

a) I'm never buying a car with wiring that's been messed with ever again.
b) Sorry for any typos and mistakes, I'm not a native speaker.

Thank you for all replies!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

aircon , fuel , pump , relay , webasto