another hood fail - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Fife
another hood fail

Tried mine this afternoon. Rear screen lifts fine clam shell lifts about 3/4 then stops if you lift your finger off the button and back on the clam then lifts to the fully open position then everything stops.

I tried the manual reset option but no joy. I checked the fluid and it is sitting on the top mark.

How does the calm know it is fully open? Is there a sensor on one of the hydraulic rams?
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
As the clam opens there is no problem with the release mechanism - the most common problem.

TBH - I get this all the time. Sometimes it opens and closes with no problems and other times nothing happens when I press the switch. The fluid levels, like yours, are fine.

All I do is open/close manually a couple of times and then it seems to reset and operate as it should for a while before it decides not to co-operate again.

I have learned to live with it's vagaries.
AO Member
County: Somerset
Mine did exactly the same. Diagnostics tracked the problem to a sensor in the nearside hydraulic ram. I had the ram replaced with a used one (about 50 if I remember correctly) and it's been fine ever since.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 09-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Fife
Fat Elvis you are a star mate! I had a play with the nearside ram and noticed that there is a sensor on that ram.

Now the strange thing is yesterday when I was playing about I noticed the ram bolts were a little loose allowing the ram to move about a little So I tightened them. Thinking back the roof never worked after I did that.

I woke up in the early hours this morning and it occurred to me maybe I should loosen them again.

First thing after I had walked the dog I went back and loosened the four ram securing screws and guess what!

Fully functioning roof again!

I'm guessing fine positional tuning of the ram is required or I can just leave the ram slightly loose and add it to my weekly maintanence checks!

Oh and the sun is out here today as well.

Think I could do with a new ram or two to recondition just in case though.

Anyone got an old spare or broken one I can play with?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

fail , hood