ABS Diagnostic port - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

166, GTV 3.0

ABS Diagnostic port

Where is the ABS diagnostic port for a 2001 GTV 3 litre? Is it the 16 pin port in the fuse bay which I can connect to for the engine ECU? Or is there one near the ABS unit under the bonnet? I cannot find any plugs there but cannot get a reading from the 16 pin connector for the ABS.
Help, please??
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Aalborg
You have to use the 16-pin connector in the fuse box bay.
But you need to use an adapter cable to connect to the ABS unit.

Which cable are you using?
If you have something like the one in the link then you should use the green adapter

(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 05-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166, GTV 3.0

Thanks for that. Yes it does not read it with just the KKL cable.
AO Member
County: Stockholm

Member car:

K-line is on pin 7 and ABS on pin 1. You need to connect these two in some way. One solution is the adapter mentioned above, another is to open up your interface and solder a cable between pin 7 and pin 1.
AO Member
County: Glamorgan
Hi plbuckland

I purchased Multiecuscan and diagnostic kit from Gendan.co.uk

You need the VAG/KKL interface and the GREEN adapter in order to connect to the ABS 5.3 module.

However, I am unable to connect to the ABS and sent a report to Multiecuscan. They responded with the following reason:

There seems to be some electrical problem with the connection as the data which is coming from the ABS module is corrupted. The ABS module returns ISO code 25 86 A2 07 1C which is not a recognized ABS identification and also it is not valid as the checksums are incorrect.
This type of problems are usually caused by loose connector somewhere or bad grounding/power supply.

I have attached my email thread for further info.

Can anyone help please? Where are the most obvious causes of loose connector or bad grounding/power supply?

Last edited by P3rksy; 11-10-15 at 19:29.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 18-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166, GTV 3.0

ABS Issues

I could not connect to my ABS computer either; I used the green cable and tried to connect to it using both a bluetooth dongle and an ODB2 USB cable with both a Win7 computer using Multiecuscan and an Android tablet using AlfaBB. Neither could connect to the ABS computer, but the Android using bluetooth ELM dongle (and no other cable) connects OK to the engine ECU. So I took it to an Alfa technician and his scanner could not connect to it either, furthermore the engine ECU would not even show up on his scanner. We even tried logging in as a 3.0 166 and still didnt show up. We were about to give up when he suggested trying an old Garmin scanner he had there and this was able to communicate with the ABS ECU and indicated a problem with the rear left sensor. Am waiting on a replacement sensor.

But I am a little mystified. I tried all different settings on the Windows computer and it seemed to communicate with it on the KLL setting but still wouldnt connect using Multiecuscan. I even tried disconnecting the plug on the immobiliser. This made no difference. My thinking is there is a bad contact/earth somewhere. Three computers couldnt read it but the old Garmin one did.

Any suggestions?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

abs , diagnostic , port