Blown head gasket advice please. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 21-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire
Blown head gasket advice please.

I'm gutted. I've had my GTV 3.0 for a few years now. Last week the car passed its MOT and I was really looking forward to the spring weather. Driving on the motorway last Monday I noticed the temperature gauge acting abnormally. It usually sits on the bottom, occasionally straying to about half way if sitting in traffic. It was about half way and I was doing 80mph. Within a few minutes it reached about 3/4 so I stopped. On opening the bonnet I could see coolant all over the engine. The radiator had sprung a leak. I had the car recovered to a nearby garage, they fitted a new radiator and then told me they suspected the head gasket was blown. A smell of petrol from the coolant bottle and not running very smoothly.
So I'm not sure what to do. The garage advised me to scrap the car. I'm really reluctant to do this because I'm so fond of it.
Can anyone advise me regarding replacing the head gasket? Does this mean having the head (s) skimmed? Does this work? What's the success rate? Should I try to find an replacement engine or just find a new car?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Ouch. No advice to give but I feel you pain. Hope it all works out.
AO Member
County: Angus
I have one as a project the same. If a garage does the heads your looking at 1000+
I bought a spare engine, albeit a CF3, my GTV is a CF2. I intended to drop the engine, remove the heads, then decide either to replace the lot, ( bit of extra work with sensors etc due to engine difference,) or just have the heads done. Good luck with it, I wouldn't scrap it though.
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

916 gtv v6 x2

Having done mine nearly 3 years ago my parts costs were heads skimmed, pressure tested 180 ,new gasket set 200, timing belt, waterpump, idlers, tensioner and thermostat approx 250 also did bottom end bearings 120. Have no idea what it would have cost for a garage to do the work and I would not want to do another. I did mine because the rest of the car was in very good nick.If you don't want to go to the expense of repairing or worried about successful outcome there is a gtv engine on ebay for 400.I would not give it to a scrap man, if you decide not to do it sell it as a project you will get more than the 100 or so that a scrap man will give you.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
I've just had my head gaskets replaced last month, in total inc labour, it had cost me 2500. This included strip, heads cleaned, re-skimmed & rebuilt with all new valves, valve guide stem seals, with the valve seats re-profiled. Heads refitted including cam belt & all the idlers/tensioners. Also the auxiliary belt & pulleys replaced, with a new thermostat.
AO Member
County: East Sussex
If you go down the easiest route of another engine i shall offer to buy the engine or car, shame your not nearer cos id put it in for you in exchange for the engine.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 21-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire
A replacement engine is looking like the best option but I don't have the skill or facilities to do this work myself so I'm going to have to pay someone. Anyone need to use a recording studio?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , blown , gasket , head