No heat from interior blower..advice please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 15-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

No heat from interior blower..advice please

Hi guys, I have recently taken ownership of a 2001 TS Lusso which is in pretty good shape subject to a few niggles, one of which is the interior heater which only blows cold air.

As I understand it this is most probably the heater matrix? But can anyone advise how to troubleshoot the exact problem and likely cost?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Could be the control cable to the heater valve. When you turn the temperature control knob does it feel like it's connected to anything. Should feel slight resistance when turning it.
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuudge View Post

As I understand it this is most probably the heater matrix? But can anyone advise how to troubleshoot the exact problem and likely cost?
Far more likely to be either the air mixing flap actuating motor, the cabin temperature sensor/fan or one or both of the mixed air temperature sensors. I'd look at the motor first.

There are no control cables on a 2001.

The mixed air temperature sensors can probably be ruled out if you only get cold air to the screen and the footwell when those directions are selected. If you can get hot air to either the footwell or screen then that would point to the relevant mixed air temperature sensor being faulty.

To see if it is the motor, the easiest way is to remove the carpeted side panel on the driver's side and swap the two motors over.

You can see the motors here ( the two bits with the barcode stickers )

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...5_DSC_0004.jpg

If after swapping them over you can get warm air but you can't change the direction ( screen/vents/footwell ) then the motor is the problem.

The good news is that GM also used those same motors so you can get the Vauxhall equivalent.
(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 16-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

Hi guys the plot thickens. Since my last inspection the fans have completely stopped working. The air con green light works as does the circulate air button and heated screen button but no air whatsoever. Have checked the fan fuse in the engine bay and appears fine. There is however something odd in the interior fuse tray. See attached image. One of the fuses has been what appears to be 'by passed' with the female teeth touching each other (I have since opened them up again) it looks partially melted around the fuse seating area.

Happy to try the recommendations above but could the fuse tray issue be the culprit before I investigate further? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1426527392969.jpg (60.4 KB, 41 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
No heat from interior blower..advice please

That'll be the fuse position for the supply to the rear heated windscreen.

Have you a 12v supply to the motor, could be a seized blower motor. Take the plug of the interior fan and put a meter across the terminal & turn the fan on.
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
Far more likely to be either the air mixing flap actuating motor, the cabin temperature sensor/fan or one or both of the mixed air temperature sensors. I'd look at the motor first.

There are no control cables on a 2001.

The mixed air temperature sensors can probably be ruled out if you only get cold air to the screen and the footwell when those directions are selected. If you can get hot air to either the footwell or screen then that would point to the relevant mixed air temperature sensor being faulty.

To see if it is the motor, the easiest way is to remove the carpeted side panel on the driver's side and swap the two motors over.

You can see the motors here ( the two bits with the barcode stickers )

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...5_DSC_0004.jpg

If after swapping them over you can get warm air but you can't change the direction ( screen/vents/footwell ) then the motor is the problem.

The good news is that GM also used those same motors so you can get the Vauxhall equivalent.
Hi PKR, was messing around with the radio at the weekend and removed the carpet side panel on the drivers side. I couldn't recognise the motors easily, am i looking in the wrong place or just being dim! See attached pic. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown-1.jpg (112.7 KB, 22 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
You have to look up from there, they will not be in front off you from opening the panel You'll see the 2 motors attached to the side of the heater unit, if you look up.
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

Hi all, i will be attacking the heat issue again in the next few days so just wanted some more advice before i jump in to check the motors as described above.

One thing i should have mentioned on my original post, the air con is also not working, the light comes on but no conditioned air as such, could this be connected to the 'no heat issue' as above?

As i mentioned the fans blow, but only cold air (but not ice cold!)

cheers.
AO Member

County: Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Quote:
Hi guys the plot thickens. Since my last inspection the fans have completely stopped working. The air con green light works as does the circulate air button and heated screen button but no air whatsoever. Have checked the fan fuse in the engine bay and appears fine. There is however something odd in the interior fuse tray. See attached image. One of the fuses has been what appears to be 'by passed' with the female teeth touching each other (I have since opened them up again) it looks partially melted around the fuse seating area.

Happy to try the recommendations above but could the fuse tray issue be the culprit before I investigate further? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
got the same problem,all fuses ok in my case.gave up then ,hope you solve it and then I can solve mine
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Have a look in the following thread.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post13284066 (Climate control fan not working)

To debug why the heater fan isn't working check if the fan motor gets 12V.
If you can measure 12V to the fan motor, try to measure the voltage on the orange wire going to the speed controller. You should measure a voltage from 12V to 0V depeding on the speed level setting.

It could be caused by a seized fan motor as ealier proposed, by the speed regulator module (Q31), the fuse (G56), the wiring or the ground connection (Black wire from speed regulator)
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 19-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik_45 View Post
Have a look in the following thread.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post13284066 (Climate control fan not working)

To debug why the heater fan isn't working check if the fan motor gets 12V.
If you can measure 12V to the fan motor, try to measure the voltage on the orange wire going to the speed controller. You should measure a voltage from 12V to 0V depeding on the speed level setting.

It could be caused by a seized fan motor as ealier proposed, by the speed regulator module (Q31), the fuse (G56), the wiring or the ground connection (Black wire from speed regulator)
Thanks Henrik, fans are actually working now. problem is no heat when turned to hot on the dial (just blows cold air)..was going to try swapping motors first as stated PKR. As above im wondering if the Air Con issue is connected to the no heat issue....
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Thanks Henrik, fans are actually working now. problem is no heat when turned to hot on the dial (just blows cold air)..was going to try swapping motors first as stated PKR. As above im wondering if the Air Con issue is connected to the no heat issue....
If you're not getting heat because of the direction motor but the a/c is working, you'd be able to tell as the air would get cold.

A quick check on the a/c -

Start the engine
Turn OFF the a/c
Open the bonnet
Get someone to switch on the a/c whilst you listen near at the front right of the car.

If you hear a loud 'thunk', the a/c compressor is engaging. If you don't hear it engaging then the most likely explanation is low refrigerant pressure ( it could also be too high but that is less likely ).

A quick and dirty test for refrigerant - take off the plastic dust cover from one of the a/c refrigerant valves ( probably near the compressor at the front right of the engine and they look similar to tyre valves but a bit bigger ) and press the centre of the valve gently and briefly. If no refrigerant comes out you probably need a vacuum test and re-gas.
(Post Link) post #13 of 16 Old 21-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

Hi PKR,

Have switched feeds on the fan motors as you suggested. Blowers come on but still no heat. The directional didnt work (in that i couldnt swap between footwell, face, screen etc) which is i think what you were saying would happen above. Swapped them back to normal, checked on footwell only and screen but still no heat so assume this has ruled out the motors and the mixed air temp sensor?
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
I don't quite understand what you did.
Did you do as pkr proposed in the 3rd post?

Did you swap over the actuators (motors) shown in the picture pkr linked to?
Or did you just swap over the wires connected to the actuators (I don't know if this at all possible)?
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 22-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

Like an absolute plonker I have only swapped the wires and not the motors, thanks for pointing that out!
I will now try and swap the motors, are there any pointers on removing them ? Hardly any room to move down there, unless I'm meant to be removing the entire dash to swap them!? Cheers
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
They just unbolt but I do remember the bolts/ screws being a strange size like 6.5 mm or similar. I have some spare actuators if you need them.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
bloweradvice , heat , interior