Koni Shocks - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Status: Planning summer upgrades
AO Member
 
AussieAlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Aussie in Sweden
County: Stockholm
Posts: 780
Images: 12
Garage
Let me know how you go with the Stradale kit. I am considering it as a potential option when I overhaul my suspension later this year and would love to hear your thoughts. Although I am fitting it to a GTV hopefully you can at least give some general feedback regarding how hard they are and how they ride etc.

And yes, that Stradale kit is only height adjustable but at the end of the day, still probably significantly better than the old, worn setup currently on your spider
AussieAlex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #27 of 52 Old 05-03-15 Thread Starter
Status: The rebuild has begun!
AO Member
 
Preston916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Glasgow
Posts: 260
Images: 4

Member car:

916 Spider & GTV

I'll let you know, I'm hoping to lower the front by 20mm and the rear by 30mm. From what I've read the shocks aren't too hard but time will tell. If it's too low or hard it's back to the drawing board...I'll probably end up with Koni's and eibach's lol
Preston916 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
finbarnone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Glasgow
Posts: 44
Images: 14
Hi, just wanted to say I'm in the west of Glasgow and have a 1999 red Spider. I've been slowly making improvements in my first year of ownership, so I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the suspension.
I'm always up for some advice so if you ever want to meet up and compare notes.....and cars, let me know, cheers.
finbarnone is offline  
 
(Post Link) post #29 of 52 Old 05-03-15 Thread Starter
Status: The rebuild has begun!
AO Member
 
Preston916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Glasgow
Posts: 260
Images: 4

Member car:

916 Spider & GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarnone View Post
Hi, just wanted to say I'm in the west of Glasgow and have a 1999 red Spider. I've been slowly making improvements in my first year of ownership, so I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the suspension.
I'm always up for some advice so if you ever want to meet up and compare notes.....and cars, let me know, cheers.
Sounds good, the spider should be ready in April just in time for the sun! Where in the west end are you?
Preston916 is offline  
Status: Planning summer upgrades
AO Member
 
AussieAlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Aussie in Sweden
County: Stockholm
Posts: 780
Images: 12
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston916 View Post
I'll let you know, I'm hoping to lower the front by 20mm and the rear by 30mm. From what I've read the shocks aren't too hard but time will tell. If it's too low or hard it's back to the drawing board...I'll probably end up with Koni's and eibach's lol
I would assume that the rebound, being non-adjustable, is probably set to the softer end of the Corse+ version......though who knows, that just seems logical to me but maybe not Novitec
AussieAlex is offline  
(Post Link) post #31 of 52 Old 06-03-15 Thread Starter
Status: The rebuild has begun!
AO Member
 
Preston916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Glasgow
Posts: 260
Images: 4

Member car:

916 Spider & GTV

lets hope so...
Preston916 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
finbarnone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Glasgow
Posts: 44
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston916 View Post
Sounds good, the spider should be ready in April just in time for the sun! Where in the west end are you?
I'm in Scotstoun. A few months back I saw a yellow spider turning into Dumbarton Rd from Queen Victoria Drive....too much of a coincidence??
finbarnone is offline  
(Post Link) post #33 of 52 Old 06-03-15 Thread Starter
Status: The rebuild has begun!
AO Member
 
Preston916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Glasgow
Posts: 260
Images: 4

Member car:

916 Spider & GTV

Mine has been off the road since June last year...I do know there are another 2 Zoe yellow ones I glasgow and surrounding areas...drop me a pm with your number we can arrange a meet in April.
Preston916 is offline  
Status: Cup-A-Likes are nice too
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
CGTVs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston916 View Post
If you've ever driven a spider you'll understand that "anything else" is an upgrade to the handling
I think I've driven more than a few but it sounds like yours has knackered suspension.

New std spec shocks & springs would transform it better than any lowering kit...especially coilovers.

Clive
CGTVs is offline  
Status: 2.0L Twinspark soon to be 20Valve turbo
AO Member
 
sean0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 178
Images: 2

Member car:

GTV 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
If you have 225 45 17 tyres, be aware that they can rub on the Koni Sport front struts. Use 215 45 17 instead.
has anyone else had this problem??? as i am about to order some new koni sports shocks for the front of my TS and i have 225/45/17
sean0711 is offline  
Status: Cup-A-Likes are nice too
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
CGTVs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean0711 View Post
has anyone else had this problem??? as i am about to order some new koni sports shocks for the front of my TS and i have 225/45/17
Lots of people have. Koni only recommend/sell their TS front shocks for the early Ph1 TSs when 17s weren't an option.

Clive
CGTVs is offline  
Status: 2.0L Twinspark soon to be 20Valve turbo
AO Member
 
sean0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 178
Images: 2

Member car:

GTV 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTVs View Post
Lots of people have. Koni only recommend/sell their TS front shocks for the early Ph1 TSs when 17s weren't an option.

Clive
thanks Clive,

looks like i will have to re-think this as i dont want to change the tyres. but koni do V6 shocks and didnt they come with 17" wheels?

thanks Sean.
sean0711 is offline  
Status: Cup-A-Likes are nice too
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
CGTVs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean0711 View Post
thanks Clive,

looks like i will have to re-think this as i dont want to change the tyres. but koni do V6 shocks and didnt they come with 17" wheels?

thanks Sean.
Yes but their dimensions/clearance is also different.

Clive
CGTVs is offline  
Status: Optimistic? Me?
AO Member
 
Unclejam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Exeter
County: Devon
Posts: 395
Images: 8
Garage
TRW shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTVs View Post
I think I've driven more than a few but it sounds like yours has knackered suspension.

New std spec shocks & springs would transform it better than any lowering kit...especially coilovers.

Clive
Hi Clive - just wondered what your opinion of TRW shocks was (if you have one of course?)
Yes, they are cheap but are they ok?
I'm asking because I've just bought Suplex springs and some TRW's for the back of my V6 Spider. Should I have gone for Koni SRT's?
Cheers
Unclejam is online now  
Status: Cup-A-Likes are nice too
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
CGTVs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejam View Post
Hi Clive - just wondered what your opinion of TRW shocks was (if you have one of course?)
Yes, they are cheap but are they ok?
I'm asking because I've just bought Suplex springs and some TRW's for the back of my V6 Spider. Should I have gone for Koni SRT's?
Cheers
I would've suggested/recommended KYB shocks for the rear but TRW will be fine.

What have you got on the front?

Clive
CGTVs is offline  
Status: Optimistic? Me?
AO Member
 
Unclejam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Exeter
County: Devon
Posts: 395
Images: 8
Garage
Standard EOM (original) stuff.
i.e. Old!
They need changing too but have to be next month now, I've got human children to feed as well!
Unclejam is online now  
Status: Cup-A-Likes are nice too
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
CGTVs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejam View Post
Standard EOM (original) stuff.
i.e. Old!
They need changing too but have to be next month now, I've got human children to feed as well!
I doubt you can get original so Suplex springs with either Koni Orange STRs or Yellow Sports ..........depending on budget?

Clive
CGTVs is offline  
Status: Optimistic? Me?
AO Member
 
Unclejam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Exeter
County: Devon
Posts: 395
Images: 8
Garage
Thanks Clive - I don't see the point of adjustable Yellow's, as I'm really after a pretty standard setup and not chasing lap times!
I got the TRW's and springs for the rear from Alfashop - is anywhere else cheaper in your experience?
Cheers
Unclejam is online now  
Status: Cup-A-Likes are nice too
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
CGTVs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejam View Post
Thanks Clive - I don't see the point of adjustable Yellow's, as I'm really after a pretty standard setup and not chasing lap times!
I got the TRW's and springs for the rear from Alfashop - is anywhere else cheaper in your experience?
Cheers
I buy lots of stuff from there as well.

Clive
CGTVs is offline  
Status: Optimistic? Me?
AO Member
 
Unclejam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Exeter
County: Devon
Posts: 395
Images: 8
Garage
Yeah, they seem pretty efficient to me and 24 hour delivery too.
Thanks for your advice.
Unclejam is online now  
Status: more house renovations!
AO Silver Member
 
alfapash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 2,245
Koni's will fit with 17's on the TS on the front but not with 18's as I found out to my cost when I tried to have them fitted, same for KYB's. Rear shocks not a problem with 17's or 18's. When my front shocks give up, I'll have to go to 17's. I wouldn't want to reduce the tyre size on the 18'ss as that would be too low and even harder
alfapash is offline  
Status: Cup-A-Likes are nice too
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
CGTVs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
Koni's will fit with 17's on the TS on the front but not with 18's as I found out to my cost when I tried to have them fitted, same for KYB's. Rear shocks not a problem with 17's or 18's. When my front shocks give up, I'll have to go to 17's. I wouldn't want to reduce the tyre size on the 18'ss as that would be too low and even harder
From memory the Yellow Koni Sport for the TS allows 215/45 17 tyres but not 225/45s due to the springpan being modelled for the early TSs when 17s weren't an option but they all ran the much smaller 205/50 16s. Koni Sports for the 24v V6s don't have this problem.

I haven't re read this whole thread again but I don't know if the Orange Koni STRs are any different clearance wise for the TS?
EDIT: Koni don't make Orange STRs for the TS front.

Clive
freddie likes this.

Last edited by CGTVs; 09-08-16 at 10:51. Reason: add info, clarify
CGTVs is offline  
Status: more house renovations!
AO Silver Member
 
alfapash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 2,245
Clive, I thought the Orange Koni's were only for V6's,That's what I was told. Yellow Koni's fitted on the spider but the tyres were jammed up against plate where the springs sit. I think there are 2 types of yellow koni's one for each model.. If you can find some of course.....
alfapash is offline  
Status: Cup-A-Likes are nice too
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
CGTVs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
Clive, I thought the Orange Koni's were only for V6's,That's what I was told. Yellow Koni's fitted on the spider but the tyres were jammed up against plate where the springs sit. I think there are 2 types of yellow koni's one for each model.. If you can find some of course.....
Alfashop just checked with Koni & they don't make the STRs for the TS front, although their STR rears are for both V6 & TS.

I completely understand the front tyre clearance problem which is due to the TS Koni Sports having the springpan lower in relation to the hub than the 24v V6's.

Clive
CGTVs is offline  
Status: Optimistic? Me?
AO Member
 
Unclejam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Exeter
County: Devon
Posts: 395
Images: 8
Garage
If Koni's are fouling 225 width tyres, then a set of 10mm spacers would sort that out surely?
Best do the back end too though!
Unclejam is online now  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
koni , shockabsorber , twinspark

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
Replace with
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome