Coolant Leak Test? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Stockholm
Coolant Leak Test?

So I just got back from overseas and opened my bonnet to check the oil and coolant levels before I took her out for a journey and noticed that the coolant leaked whilst I was away (from Max -> Min over the 10 weeks I was away, so its not pouring out. And yes it was driven by my brother whilst I was away).

The weird thing though? Its sprayed all over the engine bay around the thermostat and on the surrounding hoses. I suspected before I left that one of my hoses may be poorly connected or the temp sensor wasn't secured enough and as such, when the coolant started flowing a very small amount was spraying out under the pressure, however I was unable to find the source of the leak and it was so small that it never really bothered me.

However now that I am back and my engine bay looks like someone bled all over the place (red coolant) I want to finally get round to finding the leak and resolving the issue once and for all (along with an engine bay clean up).

So my question is, how do I find the source of the leak? I have tried getting the car up to temp then leaving it on the drive with the engine running (its 38*C outside) with the bonnet open in the hope that I can see where its coming from. However this hasn't been very fruitful for me. Therefore, is there another way I can pressure test the system without paying a garage or having to buy expensive equipment?

FYI the radiator is 100% with no leaks or any evidence of leaks anywhere to be found. Thankfully the weather here is very kind to rads and its in tip-top shape. So its definitely a hose connection or the temp sensor or maybe even the thermostat itself (which was replaced about 6 months ago).

Any help would be appreciated in helping me find the culprit!

2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
how i found mine,

wait until its dark and tun your engine on and get it up to temperature. then use a small touch to search for steam.

I had a tiny pin hole i would have never found but upon shining a touch over it showed a little injection of steam coming out.

My v6 has a coolant leak but that is more obvious as it from the tank/coolant cap

Last edited by jonalfaspider; 10-02-15 at 23:36.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 10-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Stockholm
Will give that a shot tonight. Proving to be a right pain in the arse to locate
AO Member
County: Somerset
Sounds very similar to an issue I had last year that I posted about. For me it was the hose from the stat to the bulkhead for the heater matrix. The rubber breaks down and can no longer provide a good seal even under compression from the hose clip. Look here as a starting point I would say.

When I removed mine, the rubber was very soft at the stat end. Have a look at yours when the engine is cool. It could just be the clip has weakened. If it's the hose then it's a bugger to get off the bulkhead (would recommend removing the plenum first for access).

Or it could be something else entirely but it sounds very very similar!!

History - 1999 156 2.0 TS - 1999 GTV 2.0 TS - 2000 GTV 2.0 TS, 2000 166 2.5 V6 24V - 2002 147 2.0 TS - 2004 147 2.0 TS
Current - 2001 Spider 2.0 TS, 2006 Jaguar XK8, 2006 VW Golf GTi

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

coolant , leak , test