Warmup debate - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Warmup debate

Hi Guys,
There are many different views on this topic. Should you warm up your car ie let it idle for a certain amount of time, or drive off straight away?

In the Alfa handbook it suggests that driving off and warming up the car by keeping the revs low is better than sitting and idling.

I tend to think that letting the car idle for about a minute and this i actually do will prolong engine life as it gives the engine time to move the oil around and warm about a little before driving off.

What are everyone else's thoughts and are there any facts for warming up the car or driving off straight away. Some oil companies such as castrol recommend warming up the car before driving off. I use Castrol edge sport 10w 60 in my Alfa so i let it warm up.
Sponsored Links
Re: Warmup debate

i used to let it idle for abit, i mean most of the time you turn on engine, put on belt put stereo in blah blah blah so in effect you never drive off straight away, but what i make sure i never do is rag it if it's not warmed up enough. i used to have an Aprillia 250 and becuase it was italian and highly strung 2 stroke i'd let it idle till warm up all the time, just sit there and wait every morning!!
AO Silver Member

Letter in EVO this month about it....

Why do racing teams rev the balls off engine cold for a few seconds - the answer being it's the best way to get oil around the engine especially up to the top after it's settled in the sump when the engine was off. It's not very social though..

My cold startup proceedure goes somethign like key in - wait for diags to finish and mirrors fold out.. press clutch press button start, couple of quick blips - no more than 2.5 -3K then clutch out. quick all over check - into gear and away - gently - under 3K rpm until oil temp gauge is above first segment.

The key thing is to get oil to those important parts up top before you put the engine under heavy load...

Alfa V6 - the ultimate aural pleasure
Simes - the Alfaowner formerly known as Alfa156man
AO Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Simes View Post
Why do racing teams rev the balls off engine cold
They don't!!

They will warm the engine gently although they won't use very low revs because that wears the tips off of the high lift camshafts.

High end race teams will even pre-warm the oil and coolant before starting the engine. Even then they will still warm it gently after starting.

The same applies all the way to F1.

start it...into gear...and away you go....
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

This is a circular bird, that flies around,and around.:
AO Gold Member
County: -

Have not seen any advantage either way over the years. Last car I just started and drove away. Engine still pulled like the proverbial 'train' after 160,000 kms (100,000 miles).

Doing the same with current car. This has done 100,000 kms (62,0000 miles) and engine is 'perfect'

Main thing I try not to do is drive car hard when cold.
AO Member

Member car:

Do what Stori says (and the owner manual). Just start her up and drive away. The oil gets up top pdq and as long as you don't give it too much before oil temp gets up you're not gonna do any harm. Beats why why these cars don't have an oil temp gauge - I've had lesser cars that did. You can get aftermarket kits to pre-heat the oil before starting - just remember to unplug the car before driving off!!
AO Gold Member

Just drive off but dont load the engine up or rev above 3000rpm until its warmed up.

I do industrial standby engines, we keep the crankcase warm with an electric heater as full power needs to be available within 20 seconds of cranking.

If we let them idle eevn at maximum revs with no load the cylinders get glazed and they soot up, although a switch load power run over a few hours cleans them out (eventually) but whey sit and glaze things up that need to get burnt off once warm?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

debate , warmup