Alfa hood "not quite" fixed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-02-15 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

1998 GTV Spider

Alfa hood "not quite" fixed

Hi guys, the dealer took $2000 off the price of the car because the automatic hood would not work.

the car in question is a 1998 Spider, high kms but with the engine already replaced.

This is the problem...

the scenario is a car with the roof stowed. I turn the key to start, the LED comes on once and then goes out. I press the switch to close the roof, the rear opens, releases the roof which then travels all the way to the windscreen, the rear then closes and the back window panel of the roof starts to close but then stops, still well clear of its mating points.

The hydraulic tank is full, the motor works fine (white plastic gear just replaced). The engine is running throughout the operation and the switch is pressed for the entire time.

I have to then close the back of the roof using the manual switch and applying gentle pressure to the back of the roof. This is done with engine off but ignition on.

So then the roof is closed, completely. But when I turn the ignition back on I get the 10 flash error code from the LED

Any suggestion? The srtuts for the rear of the roof look ok, no corrosion and no sign of leaks. The hydraulic tank was bone dry when I bought the car, the white plastic gear was wrecked. These have all been repaired or made good as per the description.

Quite frustrating to get this far and not be 100% fixed

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
The roof seems to be mechanically operational from what you say. The hood has switches that are depressed by the hood frame as it moves so the ecu knows where the hood is and what process to operate next.

I am guessing you either have a dodgy switch, or like mine which did exactly the same as yours, one of the pivot bolts to the frame was loose meaning the frame didn't make contact with the switch as it passed it.

Its best described as being like the centre bolt of a pair of scissors. If that is loose the blades don't come into close contact and the switch is located in one of those blade.

My dodgy bolt was on the passenger side, access gained by simply lifting the rear of the hood away from the hood stow cover as normal operation would do.

(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 04-02-15 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

1998 GTV Spider

thanks for that, I will check it on the weekend. I should then have the hood operational just in time for winter, haha (live in the land of Oz)
AO Member
County: Vale of Glamorgan
The roof's more of a sunhat for you guys down there!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alfa , fixed , hood , not quite