Spider 916 bizzare boot light problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

alfa spider

Spider 916 bizzare boot light problem

Hi Folks,

I have an odd issue just occured with my Spider boot light!

yesterday all was working good. Removed the rear carpet the switch and light are clipped into in order to remove and clean the carpet trim.

Today the boot light switch no longer functions ?!?

Troubleshooted as follows:
Checked boot open red warning light on dashboard - ok functions correctly.
checked phyiscal pink/black and pink wire connections to light switch - ok clean and not broken.
checked with multimeter for 12Vdc power to light switch - got 4.67V with switch on. Got 0V with switch off.
checked cigarette lighter power in case me and multimeter - got 11.96V so multimeter is ok.

any thoughts about the 4.67V instead of 12V as you'd expect ?

I'd expect either 12V or zero not 4.67V so can something in circuit be causing a voltage drop ?

as I say bizzare issue, but if anyone has a thought or experience advice greatly appreciated.

kind regards.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
So 4.67 volts across the bulb, what p.d. do you get across the whole assembly including the switch when closed? If about 12 volts then there is a drop across the switch. If unsuccessful try hooking up an extra lead from the assembly to a known good earth (on the earthed side of course).
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
I suspect a dirty contact for the boot light assembly or boot light power/earth leads.
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Aalborg
You haven't written if your ca is a PH1 or a PH2 but as you mentioned the colors of the wires I assume it is either a late PH1 or a PH2 as the early PH1 has another color scheme for the wires.

Unfortunately I can't upload a wiring diagram(my quota is used) but the control unit (N82) will apply 12V on the pink wire and when the boot is opened the boot switch H24 will ground the pink/black wire and the light should be working.

But the pink/black wire is also feed back to the control unit and if the switch H24 ground the pink/black wire for a longer time the control unit N82 will remove the 12V on the pink wire.

You said you measured 4.67V.
Was this on the pink wire or on the pink/black wire?

As debugging I would check if the bulb is blown as this could fool the control unit to think the boot has been open for a longer time so it remove 12V on the pink wire

Last edited by Henrik_45; 01-02-15 at 18:01.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 01-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

alfa spider

Folks, many thanks for the quick replies, I traced the issue back to the pink/black wires connector accessible in the boot lid in the boot lock area by pulling down on a cable I saw in there where you can see the actual lock. I unclicked the connector, then reconnected it and hey presto boot light on and 12V !

thanks again for the clues

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

916 , bizzare , boot , light , problem , spider