Heaven.... somewhere Builth Wells! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa NOmeo

Heaven.... somewhere Builth Wells!

I had occasion to be working in Aberystwyth for a few days this week. I left Bristol at 05:00 am on Monday morning at had a thoroughly enjoyable drive up there, some of it was really very good, and the A479 was cracking with not much traffic.

For a while I was concerned the temperature gauge on the Alfa wasn't working.... then realised it was just bloody cold!

Anyway, I finished up on Wednesday lunch time and set out for home, again a nice drive but with a bit more traffic but pleasant enough in a V6 Alfa Romeo, which is why I took it not the company car (Astrazzzzzz....)

Somewhere just past Builth Wells I took a wrong turn and ended up heading along a fairly narrow single road with steep banks.....

The Sat Nav had a little think and seemed to be happy enough so I thought 'crack on', the road seemed fun and I was on company time in a Alfa Romeo, it seemed be rude not to, What happened next was awesome.

Mile after mile of these very narrow single lane, wet, late autumnal, twisty tracks, with barely any room on either side, and no other traffic on them, and high steep banks to keep the noise of the Busso working away in 2nd and 3rd in my ears with the window open.... I made a decision to seize the moment and push it a bit, nothing stupid, but certainly brisk, I decided that I'm insured, with a phone and a car that was made for this - carpe diem!

I roared through small fords and gravel traps and up, ever upwards, then the mist started coming in as the light was just beginning to start to fade, so on with the high beams.... during the entire drive I saw 2 people and 3 other vehicles, each time what could have been a tricky reverse for me was spared, as each time they were close to pulling in spot and were easily able to do a very quick reverse and let me through - even then it was narrow.

I don't know how long I drove for as I lost all track of time and was lost in moment, distance wise it was probably about 25-30 miles, by the time I got back to a A road, the first sign I picked up was for the Dragon Back Inn.

A magical and amazing drive - I was pinching myself, it was unexpected and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to find it again if I tried! The weather was perfect, damp cold heavy air and the Alfa feasted on it.

The car has never felt as happy as it did on the rest of the trip home, I was beaming and in disbelief - it was like my own personal WRC special stage, the car purred home and is now sat out side resplendent in a covering of Welsh mud.

The best drive of my life bar none, and the GTV was a beauty to use, felt fantastic and sounded amazing.

Forza Alfa!

Last edited by Alfa_Wurzel; 29-11-14 at 19:31. Reason: bad spelling!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Nice one....cuore sportivo!
AO Gold Member

Last edited by Spider95; 05-09-15 at 18:23.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
That may have been the Abergwesyn pass, which is indeed, superb. I drive that as often as can. Essentially runs from Tregaron to just a few miles west of Builth. Last time I drove it was a few months ago in the MiTo.

Route :

This is a particularly nice bit. After a bit of rain, the black bit of landscape at the upper left is a waterfall.

Last edited by pkr; 30-11-14 at 09:07.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

builth , heaven , wells