The Radiator Fans Stay on High Speed even with the ignition off - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-11-14 Thread Starter

Member car:

The Radiator Fans Stay on High Speed even with the ignition off

This is my first post and despite looking through the forums, I've not found a definitive answer.

Last weekend I noticed that the engine fan stayed on it's high speed setting. When I turned off the ignition, it stayed on. I assumed that the engine must of been running hot and walked away as many cars I've had in the past have done this and turned off the fans eventually.
When I returned to my car a day later, the battery was dead. Jump started it and the fans kicked in immediately without the ignition being on.
I guess the fan temperature switch is stock on and it must have a live feed from the battery.
My GTV is a phase 2 TS on a Y reg. Is there anyway I can replace the failed sensor or switch myself? of could it be indicative of bigger problems?

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Aalborg
Have a look in the two threads below.

It could be the Full Speed relay (I100) that is shorted or the contact in the relay is welded together so it don't release the power to the fan.
AO Member
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Ph1 GTV V6

I had my fans keep running and flatten the battery, the relay contacts had welded together as Henrik said, on my way home I had to pull fuses every time I stopped to sniggers from BMWs. However the relay was a Siemens, good German engineering!! The replacement was an Omron, ie Japanese from Jamie Porter. The fact it was in stock tells its own story.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

coolant or thermostat , engine , fan , radiator