Rev / idle and acceleration problems fixed!
I dont normally post on here, but do use everyone else's information all the time. So thanks for that.
Today however, I feel compelled to let everyone know that I finally fixed my idle hunting and hesitant power/acceleration problems that everyone else is explaining in this thread, as I am so blooming happy! I had lived with it for the last year and have had a new MAF, new oxygen sensor and complete stainless exhaust system installed - all with no effect to my idle problems.
So today I decided to give the entire air intake system a good service. I disconnected all the air intake pipes, removed the air filter and MAF and liberally sprayed every component with carb cleaner including the throttle body. Then i began to clean the flexible air intake section located just before the throttle body. It looked in good condition until I stretched the coiled/ribbed section apart to find some tiny tears and splits in the rubber!
I then proceeded to get some sticky black electricians tape and have wrapped the entire part to create an air tight seal.
I re-assembled the air intake system with my nice new air tight pipe work, turned the ignition on to find a beautifully stable idle speed. Bingo!
Note: the idle speed ran quite high (1200rpm) for a couple of minutes, but have since taken the car for a 2 minute thrashing and it has returned to the standard 800rpm.
So, my advice is to check the flexible rubber section of the air intake before you try replacing any components. Its a 5 minute job.
So chuffed that I can again start loving my GTV - my enthusiasm was really starting to fade. Now to start on the other niggles.................1 day she will be perfect!