Wishbones - unexpected bonuses. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 07-11-14 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
Wishbones - unexpected bonuses.

I bought the V6 Spider with 43k miles on it. It had a full service and new front wishbones.

Now up to 83k miles. Last February I had it serviced (Avanti Autos in Ipswich , recommended) and they noted that the bushes were beginning to break up. It drove normally and there was no inner tyre wear (typical sign of wishbone problems) so I left it.

Recently I had judder when braking lightly from speed but ok when braking firmly - made a mental note to do something about it if it got worse.

Last week, I thought that as it had been a few months since I was given the wishbone advice and, from my previous experience with our 2.0 GTV over 8 years, I knew that you are lucky to get more than 20k miles from them, I'd get them replaced.

Guess what? - BONUS 1 the brake judder has now gone.

BONUS 2 - I now see how the handling had deteriorated over time without my noticing. I just compensated without knowing I was doing it. Steering wheel had become very slightly off centre (nobody else would have noticed) and I was getting tyre squeal when cornering (at significant speed) and having to compensate albeit in a very minor way. Now it is back to running on rails and the wheel points straight ahead.

Sorry - a bit long winded but has anyone else noticed relatively minor service items can lead to noticeable improvements?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bonuses , unexpected , wishbones