Best way to raise spider. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Suffolk
Best way to raise spider.

What method would you guys reccommend to lift a spider off the ground to get underneath and remove both the front end and rear end together. As I am breaking the car, I am removing everything to leave a wheel-less hulk for the pie-keys to take.

Talking of wheels, I'll be flogging 4 ph 1 wheels in reasonable nick with tyres (I don't think the tyres are expensive.."duro performance") and one is perished. However all 4 I'll flog for 50 quid o.n.o.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Surrey
Jack it up and use axle stands. In the front place the axle stands under the factory chassis support points (square protrusions with a hole in the middle). At the back use the jacking points (assuming they are strong enough and arent two rusty). Once you have finished stripping the car lower it on to one or two old pallets to stop the scrappy from scuffing your driveway when he removes it.
AO Silver Member
County: Aberdeenshire
This advice may help those that want to Jack up a "keeper" too and will allow you to raise it safely at both the front and rear end:

Use a trolly jack to raise the front by the subframe as near to the wishbone mounts/bodywork as you can get it. Use a flat piece of wood (12mm ply)to protect the subframe from scratches if your jack doesn't have a rubber pad. If the jack wont fit under then use the wheel change jack to raise the car just high enough to get the trolly jack underneath. With that corner raised, place an axel stand under the "Lift point" as described in Srouf's post. Repeat for the other side at the front.

For the rear, use a block of wood (2"x4"by at least 10") to spread the load accross the rear aluminum subframe and jack using a trolly jack to raise from the center. Then place 2x axel stands on the rear "Stand points" which are small flat square "Box sections" at the rear of the sills on the inside edge.

Some may disagree with using the rear subframe. It is very strong though and far safer than the sills. If you try to jack the rear using the sills you will struggle to get an axel stand in and will have to keep moving the jack further down the sill (and away from the jacking point, risking damage)

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Daily Driver.
Alfa 145 QV ph1 in green (Death by rust project) For Sale.
Alfa GTV TS ph2 in blue

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

raise , spider