Hello and welcome to my steering knock - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Spider Lusso

Mooney Hello and welcome to my steering knock

This is my second alfaforum id as I forgot my password and no longer use the associated email....second user name says it all.

I've had my Spider for 7 years and it's at 43k. Lately (perhaps associated with a recent wheel bearing change) it has developed a knock from the front off-side. Yes another mysterious type of knock.

Here's what my personal knock does. When moving off, say reversing out of my drive or pulling out of a parking space I will often get a knock/clonk as I turn the wheel left or right. Usually it's quite loud. Then in normal straight line driving or mild corners it's just fine, but on a sharper corner, like entry or exit of a small roundabout, again with the clonking!! But not always. Now it also seems that if at first it clonks on a left turn then it will not clonk again on a left turn but needs a right turn i.e. it is as if it's reached the end of some travel and must be shoved back the other way again.

The first knock when just pulling off often seems the loudest.

This is the weirdest part, I seem to be able to predict when it will clonk and when it won't. I'm not sure if this means I am developing psychic powers, that I have become one with the car or that I need a trickcylclist to check my head out.

I am suspecting an oddly sticky track rod end or maybe a wishbone bush or two somewhere. I'm hoping my wonderful description will ring a bell with someone who will know exactly. I have tried yanking the steering wheel all over the place like a mad baboon with the engine off to see if I can replicate the offensive sound but nothing. Nothing also whilst trying to brutally rip the front wheel off with my bare hands whilst up on an axle stand. It eludes me...

The knock is almost wooden, like a man called Geoff hitting a coconut with a rolling pin, but not quite. Or maybe a marimba.

What is that damn noise!!! No ill effects on handling by the way.

Now one last point. This beautiful Spider will be up for sale shortly (company car and young child) and is my pride and joy. It has been cossetted, preened, buffed and fed with the finest lubricants over the last 7 years so if anyone is after a superb example feel free to get in touch. For those to whom it might interest it's a TS Lusso, Giallo Zoe (the yellow one), black leather, full SS exhaust and BMC filter, in immaculate original condition. On a sunny day it makes me weak with its sheer gorgeousness....clever clever Alfa.
Sponsored Links
Re: Hello and welcome to my steering knock

welcome to AO dude...

hopefully someone will be along in a mo to help you out..

all the best

AO Gold Member

hello and welcome to AO.
AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire

welcome to AO

hope that problem is sorted soon

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

knock , steering