Spider Hood problems continued... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-03-07 Thread Starter
Help Spider Hood problems continued...

I read one of the posts regarding the delights of the Spider hood problems and would welcome your opinions before parting with cash to the dealer.

Hood at present will start to open or close (Rear panel opens and closes fine, but the hood itself, which is currently open, will not raise very far and the noise that accompanies it sounds awful with the whole process of the hood moving upwards a few inches taking nearly 60 seconds, at which point the LED indicator starts flashing and raising of the hood conks out)

Yet if you are not fighting gravity and the hood is on it's way back down in the "Summer driving" position there is no noise and process quite swift, and completes!

Would this indicate hydraulic levels as discussed previously on here or one for Alfa Dealer to rub his hands in glee about?

Opinions would be welcome folks?

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Re: Spider Hood problems continued...

Sounds like a hydraulic problem to me, could be low levels of fluid, wrong type of fluid or a leak somewhere causing lack of pressure. Could be air in the system as well if the level is too low.

This could also be the source of the noise you hear. the hydraulic pump may be running dry. First point of call would be to check the fluid levels anyway. Have you tried raising the hood manually? if you open the hood cover with the ignition on, then turn the ignition off you'll be able to pull the hood up manually although it is quite heavy.

< Rob >

Spider 2.0 TS 1997
156 2.0 TS Selespeed 1999 (now sold)
147 2.0 TS Lusso 2002
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 31-03-07 Thread Starter

Hi Rob

Thanks for the advice on the manual use of then hood which at least gets things moving.

I've had a good fish around today and I've hopefully attached a photo of the fluid I found leaking. After having a look through the manual and finding not a lot, could I bother you again for any advice on how to top the fluid up or repair the likely damage that is causing fluid to leak?

There seem to be no obvious caps or reservoirs to inspect? Now that I'm confident it is a leaking fluid issue, is it likely to cost me an arm and a leg with a dealer if I can't fix myself?

Do you have similar fun and games with your car? Despite the odd fault here and there I utterly love this car!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood fluid.jpg (67.9 KB, 37 views)
AO Member

If you take the lining out of the cubby hole behind the seats, you will then be able to see the hydraulic selector and pump unit on the left hand side of the car. It is the unit with 12 pipes fixed to the front end. The reservoir is at the rear of the unit. It will probably be necessary to use a mirror to check the level in it. The fluid is Tutela GI/R which you will have to order from your Alfa or a Fiat dealer.

With that much fluid underneath one of the jacks, you have a serious hydraulic leak. If you are lucky, the problem will be a split or leaking flexible pipe. If unlucky, the seals on the jack have gone - a replacement will cost about &#163;270 just for the jack.

If you open the hood manually, you should be able to get a good look at the jacks and pipes with the hood rear section raised.

I recommend you search ebay for the maintenance manual. I got mine for about &#163;5 in a couple of days.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

continued , hood , problems , spider