Engine oil - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Engine oil

Hi all,what type of oil do you use in a1999 alfa spider,need to do an oil change?.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Stockholm
Alfa now recommend 10W60 for a TS. They used to recommend 10W40 when they first came out (iirc) but revised it to 10W60 down the track.

However I personally use Shell Helix Ultra which is a good quality fully synthetic 5W40 oil and many on here seem to agree that there is no problem using a fully synthetic 5W40 in these cars.

So my recommendation would be to either go for the 10W60 (expensive and probably a bit unnecessary) or get a good quality fully synthetic 5W40, especially with winter coming up over there the 5W40 may be a better bet.

2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
10w 60 if your engine uses excessive oil like (as a lot of Twinnies do)

10w 40 if not.
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2000

Ours doesn't use much oil, hardly a top up between changes and I have settled on 10W40 semi synthetic at 5,000 mile intervals. It only just starts to get dirty then.
Fully synthetic can have problems with oil seals, fixed on later cars but as ours was made in 1999 I've decided to stay with good quality semi-synthetics.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Originally Posted by Rod Duggan View Post
Fully synthetic can have problems with oil seals, fixed on later cars but as ours was made in 1999 I've decided to stay with good quality semi-synthetics.
Where did you hear this?

It may have been true in the very early days of synthetic oils, as the base stocks could cause seal shrinkage, however this problem was discovered donkeys years ago, and all pretty much all synthetic oils made since about 1980 have had additives to prevent this.

There are no downsides to using synthetic oils other than the initial cost.

The one property of synthetic oils that may give an illusion of creating leaks is their cleaning ability. If a seal is gummed up with deposits from a mineral oil the gunk can actually seal the leak. once the gunk has been cleaned away by the synthetic oil a leak will sometimes appear.

I have never had any oil leak issues on TS engined cars whilst running on fully synthetic, apart from the odd perished cam cover gasket.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

engine , oil