New steering wheel installed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 04-09-14 Thread Starter
Status: Spinning like a cat
AO Member
 
redtop_68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sweden
County: Stockholm
Posts: 515

Member car:

GTV 2.0TS

New steering wheel installed

Yesterday I fitted my new steering wheel. I sent an original GTV steering wheel to the Polish company Carsdream for remake. Diameter is reduced from 380mm to 360mm. The grip i thickened to a section of 32mm by 39mm. A BMW M-sport steering wheel was used as reference.
Very good communication, resonable price and excellent craftmanship!

Really, it's like driving a new car! Totally different feeling! I can really recommend this mod!

More pictures on this page (text in Swedish, sorry for that):
916 GTV 2.0TS - Fix och trix - Club Alfa Romeo Svezia - Forum - Club Alfa Romeo Svezia - Projekt

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0744 (Custom).jpg (84.0 KB, 140 views)
redtop_68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Fed up.
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 34,373
Images: 13
Looks great. The GTV wheel should've looked like that in the first place.

It is amazing how a slightly different diameter steering wheel can make a car feel different.
symon is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
euroboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
County: -
Posts: 2,877
Images: 52
Garage
Hi

Do you have a link to the company and the price you paid please?

thanks
euroboy is offline  
 
(Post Link) post #4 of 26 Old 04-09-14 Thread Starter
Status: Spinning like a cat
AO Member
 
redtop_68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sweden
County: Stockholm
Posts: 515

Member car:

GTV 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroboy View Post
Hi

Do you have a link to the company and the price you paid please?

thanks
Start - tapicerki.carsdream.com
Located in Polen, but I had no problems communicating in English.

I was quoted 100 for new leather and thicker grip and 180 for new leather, thicker grip and reduced diameter, and I went for the later. Shipping to Sweden was 18.

Although it took a little longer than what I was first told I'm really happy with the result and the transaction. I can really recommend this company.
redtop_68 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
euroboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
County: -
Posts: 2,877
Images: 52
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop_68 View Post
Start - tapicerki.carsdream.com
Located in Polen, but I had no problems communicating in English.

I was quoted 100 for new leather and thicker grip and 180 for new leather, thicker grip and reduced diameter, and I went for the later. Shipping to Sweden was 18.

Although it took a little longer than what I was first told I'm really happy with the result and the transaction. I can really recommend this company.
Great, thanks
euroboy is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
00Alfa Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 4,301
Images: 45
Garage

Member car:

Alfas

I don't see anything wrong with the oe steering wheel
00Alfa Andy is offline  
Status: Smooth Fox Terriers Rule
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
swallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,210
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Alfa Andy View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the oe steering wheel
Does always feel a little thin and in my case well rubbed...
swallow is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
00Alfa Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 4,301
Images: 45
Garage

Member car:

Alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallow View Post
Does always feel a little thin and in my case well rubbed...

No harm in a good old releather
00Alfa Andy is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Rewe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Norfolk
Posts: 1,154

Member car:

Brera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Alfa Andy View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the oe steering wheel
It's a fraction too thin and a fraction too big for me. The remodelled one looks great and I bet it feels better as well
Rewe is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 227
That does look like a high quality item
Mark20VT is offline  
Status: Bring on some top down weather.
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 44
That looks great ....I find the wheel to be too thin and mine is a little frayed to say the least, I currently have a cheap stretch on cover that feels a lot better in my hands but looks like a "dogs dinner". Thanks for posting pictures of yours, I will probably get one myself, was it easy to fit?
lesta916 is offline  
A6
Status: What's that noise now!
AO Silver Member
 
A6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Worcestershire
Posts: 1,818
Does the smaller wheel and thicker grip impede the view to the clocks (speedo / rev counter ) ?
A6 is offline  
ike
Status: -
AO Member
 
ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 49

Member car:

GTV Cup #42

yeah, looks nice. really like the size reduction, compared to my daily the oe wheel feels like a bus wheel.

another item for the list

will want to source a 166 wheel with audio controls first though, not that it'll help re list

potential HG issue is now order of the day though...
ike is offline  
pkr
Status: Planning the next project ...
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
will want to source a 166 wheel with audio controls first though
Before you commit, have a look for interfaces between the wheel controls and your head unit. I've not seen one.
pkr is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 26 Old 05-09-14 Thread Starter
Status: Spinning like a cat
AO Member
 
redtop_68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sweden
County: Stockholm
Posts: 515

Member car:

GTV 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta916 View Post
That looks great ....I find the wheel to be too thin and mine is a little frayed to say the least, I currently have a cheap stretch on cover that feels a lot better in my hands but looks like a "dogs dinner". Thanks for posting pictures of yours, I will probably get one myself, was it easy to fit?
Removing/fitting the steering wheel is about half an hour of work if you know how to do it.
Read this thread and consult the workshop manual and you'll be fine:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...tv-spider.html
redtop_68 is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 05-09-14 Thread Starter
Status: Spinning like a cat
AO Member
 
redtop_68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sweden
County: Stockholm
Posts: 515

Member car:

GTV 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
Does the smaller wheel and thicker grip impede the view to the clocks (speedo / rev counter ) ?
That was one thing that crossed my mind before I decided on the design. I estimated that it wouldn't be a problem, and I was right.

The linked picture is almost exactly what I see when seated in the car. I'm 187cm and have the wheel in the upper most position. If you're shorter you will probably lower the wheel so I think the view will be about the same.

http://www.alfaromeo.org/Portals/0/U...8Custom%29.JPG
redtop_68 is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 26 Old 05-09-14 Thread Starter
Status: Spinning like a cat
AO Member
 
redtop_68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sweden
County: Stockholm
Posts: 515

Member car:

GTV 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
Before you commit, have a look for interfaces between the wheel controls and your head unit. I've not seen one.
Could this one do the job?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALFA-ROME...-/350740080689

Seems to be adapters also from the bigger brands. Here's Kenwood as an example:
Kenwood Electronics UK Ltd. | Steering Wheel Adapters > Alfa Romeo
redtop_68 is offline  
pkr
Status: Planning the next project ...
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop_68 View Post
Unfortunately not. The 166 wheel seems to be pretty unique with it's resistance values. It's a single resistance ladder ( unlike the 156/147/GT system which is a twin resistance ladder ). I've even looked at SAAB controls to see if they matched the 166 ( there may have been some collaboration after the 164 ) but they don't match either!

There are programmable units available either by IR or direct connection, but those I've looked at don't like the 166 values as there doesn't seem to be enough voltage drop difference at the higher resistances for these universal devices.

Even specialists like bortesi.it don't do a 166 interface. It's not entirely surprising though owing to the 166's ICS.

I keep meaning to make my own 166 interface using a micro like a PIC but it's one of those things I keep meaning to get around to!

The other way around it would be to change the resistors to match another car. However, you'd need to find a car that uses a single resistance ladder with the buttons in the same order. Fun! Or you could design completely new PCBs redefining the button order to match another car. Even more fun!
pkr is offline  
Status: Alfa V6 - the bestsounding V6
AO Member
 
markymarkspider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Posts: 602
Images: 22
Totally recommend a smaller and thicker steering wheel. Subtle change, but big improvement in feel.
markymarkspider is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 42,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
Unfortunately not. The 166 wheel seems to be pretty unique with it's resistance values. It's a single resistance ladder ( unlike the 156/147/GT system which is a twin resistance ladder ). I've even looked at SAAB controls to see if they matched the 166 ( there may have been some collaboration after the 164 ) but they don't match either!

There are programmable units available either by IR or direct connection, but those I've looked at don't like the 166 values as there doesn't seem to be enough voltage drop difference at the higher resistances for these universal devices.

Even specialists like bortesi.it don't do a 166 interface. It's not entirely surprising though owing to the 166's ICS.

I keep meaning to make my own 166 interface using a micro like a PIC but it's one of those things I keep meaning to get around to!

The other way around it would be to change the resistors to match another car. However, you'd need to find a car that uses a single resistance ladder with the buttons in the same order. Fun! Or you could design completely new PCBs redefining the button order to match another car. Even more fun!
How about Porsche Boxster? They use a very very similar ICS unit I believe?
Pud237 is offline  
pkr
Status: Planning the next project ...
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
How about Porsche Boxster? They use a very very similar ICS unit I believe?
I'll check it out. Thanks.
pkr is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Zealand
County: Taranaki
Posts: 5

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

New Steering Wheel being installed.....

Hi all from alfisti-downunder,

I'm in the process of installing a new leather steering wheel to my Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6.

But.....whats the nut torque for steering wheel to shaft spindle ?

What I have found in eLearn is 45 - 55 daN.m (written in 2 places)
which equates to 325 - 405 lbs ft which seems excessive for an M16 thread??

Does anyone know the specified torque to tighten the caged nut?

Cheers
JohnT
jonswimma is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,482
Images: 2
50 Nm is 36 ft lbs
spankdanny is online now  
pkr
Status: Planning the next project ...
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 4,105
That certainly looks to be an error. The da ( deca ) shouldn't be there. The 916 torque value for the wheel is ( from memory ) 25-31 Nm so even 45-55Nm for the GT looks high. Much more reasonable than 500Nm ( you'd probably be looking for a new steering column if you tried that! ). You may want to check in the 156/147/GT forum for additional peace of mind.
pkr is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Zealand
County: Taranaki
Posts: 5

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Agreed its out by a factor of TEN (or more).....I've tightened the nut to 30 lbs ft which feels pretty damn tight.
The steering wheel centre is cast aluminium onto a hardened steel shaft = squashed metal !

Yes pkr peace of mind is the prize.... it does go to show don't believe everything you read !!

The wheel is from Alexandrus from Romania (ebay) ...
an exquisite product and a great deal
tis a thing of beauty in front of the drivers seat
our NZ twisty roads will be Fun :-)
jonswimma is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
installed , steering , wheel

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
Replace with
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome