What to keep - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Kildare

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

What to keep

While I was getting my gtv back on the road, I picked up a donor on the cheap mainly for its body panels.
Anyway as I part it out, I'm wondering does anyone know what parts I should definitely keep and what parts I shouldn't mind letting go!
While I hate the idea of selling something that I might need in the future, the hoarding can get out of hand. It's already started, I've got 3 complete rear suspensions including good subframes.
Also I hate the idea of another Alfa enthusiast with their car of the road, stuck for some part that I have lying there that I might never need.

So for those who've been down this route, what's the must keep items. I'm certainly keeping the ecu's and leaving the gearbox to one side, but aside from that anything else. Particularly what's common to go on the gtv that's starting to prove hard to get?

Pm for good price on parts for your 156 v6
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Hi mate, apologies for delay in getting back but i was in a panic and bought one complete hub on fleabay. Anyways, sunroof motor is yours fella you get keen postage prices so if you still have my address then tell me or order postage yourself and thats all you need pay.

When we met i told you it was a dangerous disease which you both knew but! Me personally would try to keep a spare engine or at least a top or a bottom end.

I would keep a spare bonnet and bumpers, window motors, electric aerial if it works?, , spare springpans, passenger seat insidleg bolster for the damaged one on drivers seat. ... ........ ....... .......Heck! Just keep a spare car complete and possibly in a barn and in 10yrs it will be worth a fortune in spare parts, at the mo i find p1 2nd parts shockingly cheap 2nd hand on internet but expensive in non alfa breakers.

Finally, i do get good karma by helping fellow Alfisti out so, as happened with us it tends to come around as it goes around.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 26-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Kildare

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Yeah the thing is I don't want my kitchen to turn into yours. Plan was that once stripped make a list of everything that I'm keeping and put them into storage boxes, and up into the parents attic until they're needed. The engine in the croc is a bodge job, a cf2 was fitted into it by some monkey. Not tidy at all so I wasn't going to keep it (I've a busso on a pallet, a busso engine in parts that no one wants and cf2s are ten a penny). Bonnet is in bits on the croc, as that was originally the bonnet on my gtv, as were the bumpers.
Never thought about window motors, good shout on that one. They'll get moved to the keep pile so.
The interior was a tan/fudge colour phase 1, but let that go as I didn't realise that they were the phase 1 interior gone to make seats for a man cave, last I heard.

Cheers for the motor, I'll see if I can sort out postage.

Also for those wondering why the croc was broken, I picked it up after Christmas very cheaply, his wife wanted the money for the sales. Realised that it was in good condition, bodywork was a lot better than mine, but no one wanted to buy it.
AO Member
County: Powys
I was going to strip my breaker down to parts too,but have decided to leave her whole and take bits when and if needed.She runs though,so its easier as i can move her if she's ever in the way.
Also found that she's useful to practice on - ie just done the front suspension on my spider,but stripped down the breaker first to spot any gotchas,helped no end tbh as i managed to do the spider with no snapped bolts and no rounded nuts. Also solves the perenial problem off throwing something useless away only to find you need one a couple of weeks later.............

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider