nearside inner cv boot - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 15-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
nearside inner cv boot

Need to replace nearside inner cv boot. Is this a pig of a job? Whats the best way to go about it? What size are the hex studs?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol
You can get split CV boots kits that sealed with glue. Saves taking anything apart but do not last as long as ordinary boots. I did the offside inner on mine recently with ordinary boot. You have to separate the upright from wishbone and strut and undo CV joint from gearbox drive flange. Biggest problem was getting driveshaft out of CV joint to put on new boot. You need to hold the whole driveshaft and hub assembly upside down by the CV joint and hammer out the driveshaft. It was tight fit.
AO Member
County: Surrey
It's a pig of a job alright! The hex bolts can be very tight and corroded, soak in plus gas for a while (overnight). You can just get a spanner behind the CV joint to hold the nut while you undo the hex bolts. I had to drill one of mine out, then realised there wasn't enough room to take the pin out and had to saw the nut side off.

If I remember rightly and after the above from spankdanny, you have to take the actual joint off and it's a big greasy mess (I had to replace mine anyway) There will be a tin cap covering the cv joint, carefully tap this off, then in the middle of the cv joint, there is a circlip, better to get a circlip removal tool and take this off. Take the joint away, pull off the old boot and then make sure you get a plastic cone to put the new boot on, it is a very tight fit and make sure you put it on the right way as you will be screaming obscenities like I was!!! I have some pictures on a previous thread...try and search under constant velocity joint or CV.

Usual Haynes reverse technique to put it all back. You may need to add a little more CV grease depending how much grease you lost doing the change.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 15-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
inner cv joint

Thanks lads for your replys. Have to replace both shocks as well as they are weeping. Failed mot yesterday. Probably easier to just rsmove brakes/ discs and strut and will have kore room to get at driveshaft. Anyone tried those split and glue cv boots? I also heard about someone using a very flexible cv boot that stretches over joint and then retain its orginal shape.
AO Member
County: No man's land on the Welsh/Shrophire/Cheshire borders
Never got on with the split boots to well, my old 156 JTD used to eat them.

Changed my GTV inner boots from the outside, with the shaft still attached as I couldn't budge the hex bolts. Started by removing the outer boot, dig around in the grease inside the CV joint to find the circlip that holds the driveshaft in the CV joint (there are threads on here showing images of this, easier with the struts off I remember so the hub can swing out the way), separate the driveshaft and CV joint and remove both boots, clean up the shaft and refit the boots (inner one first clearly).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

boot , nearside