V6 exhaust removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-02-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
V6 exhaust removal

I will be taking off the entire exhaust from the 2 front pipes (with flexi bits) right back to the back box in preparation for a nice new stainless steel system (more of that in a future post!).

Any tips on the best way to get off the various sections would be appreciated.

I do not have the luxury of a ramp or pit so I will spending the day on my back using a trolley jack and axle stands - anyone know the best (safest) jacking points and places to put the axle stands.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: V6 exhaust removal

Put a brick in front of each of the front wheels, then jack the car up from the back so you can put axle stands under each rear axle stub. That way you can slide under it from behind and you'll have the most room at the back of the car.

The front joint should come undone okay, as it gets hot rnough not to rust but the bolt gets sort of "forged" so it'll be dry. Spray WD40 on it and let it soak before you have a go at it.

The best way to take off the rear sections are one piece at a time but I'll guess the joints between the parts will be seized up. You may have to cut it off (not a job for the faint-hearted or those of a blunt hacksaw!) Get yourself a junior hacksaw with a new packet of the best quality blades you can find (i.e. NOT Homebase 10 for a £1).

If you're going to cut it, hacksaw through the pipe next to the joints. Not *through* the joint (you have twice the thickness where one tube sits inside the other) but just before it, as the pipe tends to rust at the joints and the metal will be weaker.

Get a nut splitter too, as any clamp etc that is seized up has to be cut off.

Reassemble with ALL NEW bolts and clamps. People don't always recommend stainless steel bolts for exhausts (heat and vibration isn't what S/S is good at) but if you can find some they'll last okay and make life much easier in future.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 06-02-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Ralf.
Nut splitter, hacksaw, blow torch all at the ready.
Now I am looking forward to an afternoon on my back under the car before hearing the wonderful sound of a full length stainless steel exhuast.
I will let you know if it was all worth it!
AO Member

I just replaced my V6 from the cat back with a Ragazzon top line. Rode her rear onto 2 small ramps, loads of access. Bolts spapped off at the cat, had to cut apart the middle and rear section due to rusted bolt. Three hours work, with retapping the cat, and to tell you the truth, no performance gain.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

exhaust , removal