Daily driver fails MOT :-( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Daily driver fails MOT :-(

Spider in for MOT on Saturday just past and have fail on ABS light not working on dash and this is because i changed brake fluid and discovered afterwards that i need examiner to cancel light as multiecuscan can't do it ........... fair enough examiner caught me trying to hide a known problem.

I also failed on dreaded rot in floorpan on both drivers and passenger side. So need seem weld repairs. Is this just a matter of having someone cut a few metal patches and weld them in or are outer floor pan replacement panels an off the shelf item? Any idea what im looking at as regards repair costs before i start looking for quotes?.

Finally, my front brake hoses were ruled too dirty to inspect even though i had just paid a valet guy 15 the previous for a MOT wash!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
If it just the floor edges that are rotten then a competent welder should be able to make up angled repair sections .. They use "off the shelf" angle repair section. If the Pans are rotten he will weld in whole floor repairs i.e. the bottom of the pan each side .. Depends how far and bad the rot is. I doubt if repair panels are available .. no need..

Save money by removing the carpets and insulation before taking it to welder .. Make his job as easy as poss.. Welders hate stripping out interiors and it bumps up the hours quite a lot.... Drive there with just the drivers seat in .. Afterwards give it a good dose of rust killer on the inside..

In the old Triumph, MG ragtop days, which also rotted from the inside out. I used to paint the inside pans with waxoyl underseal and then when still tacky stick a polythene membrane onto the underseal.. Keeps the inevitable damp/wet carpet/sound insulation off the metal..
Downside of a spider in this climate I'm afraid..

Gettin' to old for this sh*t

Last edited by seadart; 06-07-14 at 23:30.
AO Silver Member
County: Kildare

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

All rust is fixable, can be cut out and replaced. Just depends how much you're willing to spend on it.
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol
I would take the seats and carpets out to see how bad it is. I cut the carpet along the transmission tunnel to make it more manageable. You can't see the cuts when back together. Although the carpet felt dry the insulation was soaking wet although there was no obvious leaks. Spiders have what must be drain slots in the floor pan which are a real rust trap. My floor was badly surface rusted with a few pin holes. Personally I would have the sill covers and all the wheel arch liners off to make sure the enevitable corrosion isn't too bad. I had holes in 3 arches that I had to repair.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

daily , driver , fails , mot