Some notes re CF3 3.0 V6 engine removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Some notes re CF3 3.0 V6 engine removal

I've had the (mis)fortune of being asked to replace an engine in a GTV recently. I've done plenty of V6 engine swaps before now but I've not put one in a GTV. I've found;

a) You need to remove the subframe. You don't have to when it comes to a 156 / 147, but the engine compartment appears to be smaller, requiring it's removal. 'Course I could be wrong and I just didn't have the ropes set up right.

Also, because I had to remove the subframe to get it out, I had to unbolt the lower arms, which where shagged - The threads were stripped and the arms held in place with longer bolts with a nut on the top.

'Course, they were seized in the hub so I had to remove that too. Which effectively ended up in a complete front suspension overhaul as part of the job...

b) Never, ever, put youself in the situation where you have to drag an engine crane or engine on a stand through gravel...

c) If, after refitting a new engine and you find it won't start - code light is on but the fuel pump isn't running, take the advice of others and check all the wiring connections 1st before placing blame at the code system's feet. In my case it took 2 hours to find that I hadn't connected the little earth lead from the ECU to the intake plenum...

Last edited by Chris155; 09-06-14 at 14:52.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Oxfordshire
Sounds like fun

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cf3 , code , engine , gtv , notes , removal