GTV 'Euro / Euro 2' +other cost factors - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 15-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GTV 'Euro / Euro 2' +other cost factors

looking to get 3 litre GTV during summer and have come across above in some ads.

Assuming this means they are imports, could those in the know provide pointers I should consider

eg - how do you identify an import and just how important is it? - Ie Do insurers load premium noticeably? - What other relevance is there?

I seem to remember a Cambridge dealer mentioning something about VIn No position on windows - I do remember him offering similar cars, the import being cheaper

I have been told that there is a huge difference in road tax if you go for late 2001 onward, however it would appear to be c 60p per week different?

Do Classic policies only kick in at 15 yrs or are all GTVs eligible

Talking of eccentricities in costs, the 2003 big mouth model is v cheap in 2 litre form and v expensive in V6 form (when both compared like for like with Ph2)

I thoroughly quizzed half a dozen V6 owners at Boughton House this last weekend. - Approaching the owners of highest spec and condition cars (30-60k miles, mint / re-sprayed, with Q2, polybushing and some with uprated clutch, large brakes + quad exhaust on most) - I tried to ascertain the current market value (selling price rather than asking prices) - the feedback was broadly 2.2 - 3.5k for fully sorted cars (the higher end reflecting mint resprayed cars with extensive expensive upgrades, the lower end, still mint but with less mods ) - A huge premium over TS model of similar vintage (300 upward!), however still good value if no hidden rust problems

The Q2 + GTA f wheel / clutch being highly regarded - I was also surprised to hear most owners use the cars only at weekends as they didnt consider them to be very practical - I find my ride a little choppy and the turn rate + door length a little inconvenient, otherwise I find it a good every day car. Whilst the mpg on the V6 is not likely to better 25 on local drives I suspect, I shall still use it daily
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
Not sure what you mean by "identify an import" ? Do you mean sourced via a non Alfa dealer via Spain, Ireland Denmark, Holland etc ? I guess the taxable rate would still relate to emissions regardless of which country sold the car.
Loads of people on here use them as regular runners, this time of year the Spider is in constant use although I must confess that the Cup is more infrequent. I guess is I had a 'regular' V6 I would use it more often. Some on here might argue that really I DO only have a regular V6, just with a few add ons.
Insurance, as with any car, is just down to the best deal you can negotiate either by mileage limitation or increased excess etc.
As you can appreciate they are not designed to carry much luggage/load.
I guess that obviously you must consider that you will need to invest a certain amount each year as upkeep toward basic roadworthiness plus more if you got down the GTA flywheel Quaife route.
Whatever you choose have fun.
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

I believe Euro / Euro 2 will be different engine variants as Euro 2 is an emissions regulation. Possibly they are talking about ph2/ph3 cars?

Not sure about identifying an import, I'm surprised it matters 15 years after production, warranty is definitely over!

All GTV's seem to be eligible for "classic" car policies, i.e restricted miles as when looking to get my first ts I had insurance quotes on a classic basis on cars from 1996 - 2002.

AO Member
County: Powys
Originally Posted by griffster View Post

Whilst the mpg on the V6 is not likely to better 25 on local drives I suspect, I shall still use it daily
The mpg on my twinnies struggles to creep over 25 on local drives (<5miles) spirited,rather than thrashed too.The JTS will nudge 40 on long treks,not sure about the ts,prob not as much.So i think you may be looking at nearer 20 or less for a v6 on short trips.
The p1 ts is 55/yr cheaper to tax than the p3 JTS,don't know how v6s compare
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

The car should have CEC document in Italian if it's an import, the details from this are then used on the UK registration document. However as someone said after all this time it makes no difference whatsoever insuring or taxing the vehicle. You just pay the appropriate duty for the date registered.

I believe my spider was a personal RHD import as it comes with the CEC type document, it's a lusso spec identical to official UK spec with the exception of no alarm fitted, wiring harness is there though. There were probably quite a few that came in like that, just look at any old Auto Italia mags of the period full of adverts to bring them in thousands cheaper than the Alfa UK route.

If you come across one as always buy on age and condition FSH etc and enjoy it!
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Oxfordshire
I think cf1/cf2&cf3 are being confused with imports. The cf1 etc designation reflects when engine changes were made to comply with emissions ie cf2 comply with euro 2 regs....
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 16-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

thanks guys for all the feedback - one other difference true of some privately imported makes is absence of underseal and galvanising - anyone know if its true of the 916 (being built in a warmer drier climate)
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
The panels would have been galvanised at point of manufacture, not assembly so cant imagine that is location dependent.

Cant comment on the underseal. Might be worth picking up the phone and speaking to Ned at Autolusso, sure he would be able to answer your questions in 2 mins flat.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cost , euro , factors , gtv