Is my poor twinny dying ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 07-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Is my poor twinny dying ?

Car has been running rich for a few months now , I put this down to the thermostat, but a for a few weeks now soon after getting the cam belt done , then a week later the exhaust mounting replaced I am now getting a burning smell coming from the engine area , the smell has hint of rubber but it seems to go after I have been driving for around 20 mins .I have noticed a few drops of oil in morning so I am wondering if burning off the oil as I am driving .
Also after cleaning her yesterday and checking the oil it looks like there are iron filing in the oil , I have booked her in for Saturday to be looked at , but suspect I may not be in for good news.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2000

Look for an oil leak around the camshaft cover. If they didn't change the gasket when doing the cambelt then it will probably be leaking, and oil will then drip onto the exhaust manifold or cover and smoke and smell.
Give it an oil change and use a very clean draining bowl, then inspect the old oil carefully for bits.
Check the diagnostic socket for error codes, you may have lambda sensor or MAF going duff and giving you the wrong mixture.
Check the plugs for colouration to confirm the mixture.
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
If you have what looks like a little smear around the bolts that hold the cambelt cover you may have weeping cam seals or gasket. I had this after my belts were changed and had to have the belts off again to fix as apparently the oil can contaminate the belt and knacker it eventually. Car running fine now.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 08-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Cheers chaps , I'll mention this on Saturday hopefully may not be as bad as I thought .
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
Good luck with the "iron" filings in the oil - hopefully not a broken piston ring.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

dying , poor , twinny