New Cam Belts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
New Cam Belts

After going through the threads on this site, I decided to follow the general consensus of you the experts that the cambelts should be changed even though the GTV is just over 4 years old and has only done 20K.

I got Roger at Peak Alfa to replace the belts and he showed me the old belt and tensioner. Just slight wear on the tensioner and virtually none on the cam belt. There was no evidence of any cracking due to age either. I have no complaints though because I have peace of mind and I dont need to worry about belts for a while!

Would definitely use Peak Alfa again. I like things explained by someone who knows what they are doing and actually cares about customers and their car!
Sponsored Links
Re: New Cam Belts

A wise decision Chris

very wise...

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Just had mine done too (97 Spider) with all tensioners, idlers and variator.
It has 49K, records show new belt at 40K, (6 years ago) but no info on tensioners etc. All looked OK, but a slight notchyness on the cam tensioner (It was a black one, replaced with metal). However, the new supplied idlers are plastic, the removed cam idler was metal. It had some surface rust. The balance belt tensioner supplied was plastic too, as was the one it replaced.
My mechanic said that the Gates kits were guranteed (?) as long as the change intervals were complied with.
In my experience, performance kit idlers tend to be metal.
Any thoughts?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

belts , cam